diy solar

diy solar

reuse of complete ex EV car HV battery packs.

UKBILL

I have 2 EV's one is needing a new battery pack after 329000 miles! That is out of a 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. The pack is now down to 50% but that is still a useable 6+KWh and 325 volts. The 2nd EV battery pack is currently in my MG5 EV a 52.5KWh pack. This is now down (after 125000 miles) to 90%, so still very useable, however I can buy a 61.5Kwh pack for around £4000 to upgrade my MG5 and increase its range by over 70 miles.
My inverter can handle voltages of up to 500 volts so is good with both sizes of pack.
My question is is anyone making a plug in unit that allows the complete pack to think it is still in a car so allowing the pack to charge and discharge normally?
Obviously the need to provide up to 160 of KW output is not going to be required so cooling the packs is not needed. The max my inverter can handle is 5KWh.
I need the packs BMS to operate as normal of course.
Anyone know of anyone working on this type of system?
I am based in the UK.

I have an inverter (Solis 4G) that converts Solar into 240 volt AC. This is then fed to a Solax x1 retrofit AC coupled battery inverter HV 5.0Kw.
the battery pack on the Mitsubishi still has over 6KWh capacity. not that much but useful. my existing battery is a 6.3Kwh unit but because it holds 20% (10% at the bottom and 10% at the top of the battery pack so only have about 5 KWh max. However it also can only handle 20 amps and at 100 volts this gives me only 2 KWh charging and discharge rate. on reflection yes using the old Mitsubishi battery pack would do little except allow me to use 5 KWh power in my house from the battery pack. however having close to 50 KWh of battery storage is really appealing.
The Chemistries are NMC (nickel Manganese Cobalt lithium in the MG5 battery which is one reason why I think leaving the battery pack complete is a good idea. It adds a high level of safety and security. However finding a place to put a 100Kg battery pack may be problematical.

Last edited:
Back