diy solar

diy solar

RV Onan 5500 LP Starting with Lifepo4 Batteries

the highest I saw for the Onan 5500 was 350 CCA and depending on the model as low as 200 CCA Not sure where the 450 CCA are coming from - that's as much as 4 cylinder car engine needs. And not that tiny 2 cylinder generator.

First off there is nothing tiny about an onan.
That's 40 - 60 cubic inches of flat head fury...

Depending on the age your Onan it might be exciter cranked or the last of them had a starter motor.The exciter cranked units needed a lot of amps to get them rolling over because obviously there is no ring gear or reduction,

And there were bigger ones I believe the largest was 70 or 80 cubic inch

They're on here scattered. BTW I live just north of Columbus in Delaware and work in Worthington, so if you ever see a big shiny metal bus it's likely me :)

Here's the listing when I bought it a year ago

Current build info
@justinm001 that is a sweet rig! Those Provost look so clean and dialed in. You can hardly even see where the slide-outs are.

I have a 24v system and an Onan 7000. I installed 3 orion 24/12 70A dc-dc converters & I don't have any issues starting the Onan or running the levelers and the slide outs. I tested the system with 2 Orion's and it works no problem as well, I put the third in for redundancy only.

Attachments

• IMG20240310151505~2.jpg
    IMG20240310151505~2.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 4
Back