diy solar

diy solar

Safe to use NMOT ? vs sct

A harder question to answer is the NMOT business (as these panels are tested SCT in a super controlled environment,... including the light source and wind.)
Nothing hard about that either. If I remember correctly NMOT is just a reasonable guess about what the panel might produce versus SCT which is an estimate about perfect (or at least "test") conditions. I would not use either for deciding about series / parallel configuration. As repeatedly said by others, max voltage on coldest day is the main constraint.
Highest voltage at the coldest expected temperature should be how you decide how many cells you can put in series because voltage adds when in series.

Last edited:
An example of how this works:

Lets use an array with a Voc of 130V. And lowest temp is 0C (32F). And temp coefficient of .35%

0C is a delta of 25C.

130Voc x 25 deg C x .0035 = 11.375V rise (array becomes 141.375Voc)
0C is a delta of 25C ?

.... Anyway,... Awesome. Calcs out just as you did. ... just can't internalize why 25. (25 C celsius? which is 77 degrees F) (Does this number represent "their" test temperature... as a starting reference point?) ------ In any case I will use 15 or 12 degrees F coldest. (In all my 58 years here I've never seen -16 as one posted... maybe wind chill?

Sorry, (not asking you do my my math... BUT): What about a 130 voc (coldest temp 15 degrees F) ?

Does this number represent "their" test temperature... as a starting reference point?
Yes “standard” test temperature is 25deg C in the solar industry. Stick with degrees C, it’s easier.

Your lowest temp is probably -20C (as I posted earlier), so you are looking at 45 degrees total for the increase in Voc.
Multiplied by 0.35% (or whatever coeffient is specified), which is 15.75% increase in Voc over what they specify for Voc at STC.

You must ensure that your solar charge controller (SCC) can handle that voltage. It is not negotiable.

Last edited:
Yes “standard” test temperature is 25deg C in the solar industry. Stick with degrees C, it’s easier.

Your lowest temp is probably -20C (as I posted earlier), so you are looking at 45 degrees total for the increase in Voc.
Multiplied by 0.35% (or whatever coeffient is specified), which is 15.75% increase in Voc over what they specify for Voc at STC.

You must ensure that your solar charge controller (SCC) can handle that voltage. It is not negotiable.
Thank you very much,... I'll go with it. ...(didn't realize your chart was in celcius?)

-20C = (-4 F) .... Still not sure where yo got 45 but ok. ...Ya'll sound like you know your stuff for sure. Got to learn these calcs.

In any case,... Thanks again.

PS: I see now: -20 to 20 = (20) ... 20 to 25 = (5) ..... Still lost, never mind...lol
PS AGAIN: (Ampster explained it. It made sense at first then I confused) ... (testing is 25C) I am -20C =(20) ...Then to 20C again = (20) + (5) --- 45C lower temp than the test. Got it.

Last edited:
Still not sure where yo got 45 but ok.
STC standard temperature is 25°C. He assumed your min temp was -20°C. That is how his math got 45.. Your mileage may vary and his VOC was an assumption but depending on your configuration you will have to multiply the number of panels in series time your specific panel VOC to get the total VOC for whatever configuration you choose.

Better to say:

-20C minus +25C = -45C deviation from STC

-0.35%/degree C times -45C = +15.75%

It's important to get the sign of the temperature delta correct, so when you multiply by temperature coefficient of Voc the adjustment also has correct sign.

And note that .35% was my guesstimate.

-0.35%/degreeC

For quick conservative answer, I assume +16% in voltage, Voc x 1.16
That comes from -0.4%/degreeC and -15C (vs. +25C nominal for STC specs of PV panel)
If that exceeds allowed voltage then I look up the detailed specs and temperature of location.

Many panels today have a smaller percentage temperature coefficient, so can be designed closer.

Better to say:

-20C minus +25C = -45C deviation from STC

-0.35%/degree C times -45C = +15.75%

It's important to get the sign of the temperature delta correct, so when you multiply by temperature coefficient of Voc the adjustment also has correct sign.
150 V / 15 A / 2,100 W --- Max
... I have done some calcs and found the 2 panels (I bought them $193 each Xs 2 = $387 at The Solar Power Store / Canada) and plans for 4 (570W MAPLE LEAF - All Black bifacial, ) (DATA SHEET - https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0510/6148/9855/files/570W_Maple_Leaf.pdf?v=1708724547 ) ... 51 VOLTS PER PANEL ( Temp Coefficiency @ -20 C puts me way above like 277 V!... 4 in series ) Kinda screwed but the said they will refund my $387. .... They want $440 SHIPPING. --- Guess I didn't realize (but I did figure something was more $) that this is expensive. ///// I CAN'T FIND ANYONE ELSE WHO WILL SELL "SINGLE" PANELS ???. Some, like Signature Solar LLC sell 4 only (but mostly a min of 10) but of the 4 bundle they will not work. // OF COURSE (Solar Power Store said it would work 2S / 2P) but initially I got too high amperage, then you guys explained I need not worry? LOOKS LIKE I MUST NOW CONSIDER 2S/2P. ==== I will call them today and perhaps let the hold on to the $387 and possibly design me something (4 panels)(These Maple Leafs are pretty inexpensive and seem pretty nice... and I didn't wish to spend a fortune....but?) $440 Shipping (+ more now if I add two more panels) isn't all that bad really. Of course they must use lift gate / palletized,... Deliver to my work that has a loading dock.... Another thing I didn't realize...lol? /////// WOW,... This is getting involved

This is getting involved
Yes and you are not even getting close to your goal of 2100 Watts. I did not see the NOCT on those panel stated but making a wild ass guess that it is 350 Watts you will only be getting 1400 Watts from four panels. I don't know where you are located and what your options are but maybe there are panels with lower voltage so that you can use 3 in series in two groups for a total of six if you want more power. How did you decide on that goal of 2100 Watts? Is that based on your expected usage or just a desire to max out the capability of your inverter?

If you have 2 panels now, you can make the system work with 2s to start.

To add on, don't need same model, just similar Voc & Vmp. A different 2 panels wires 2s (or lower voltage panels wired 3s or 4s) that come to within 10% of same voltage will work. Shop locally.

If all panels oriented toward sun at the same time, current from the two strings adds. I think the panels put out 14A and your equipment specifies 15A, so can't do that.

If you mounted panels standing on edge facing West, and added panels back to back facing East, they would put out power different times, morning and evening, so never over 15A. But at Noon, sun hits the edge and makes zero power.

If you tilted one string 30 degrees off vertical, and the other string facing other direction 30 degrees off vertical for 60 degrees between the two strings, they would present pretty much same area to the sun all day. Should still be 15A max, but more hours of production.

I have deliveries to freight terminal, save cost of last mile with liftgate truck. I go get them with my pickup.
I also use smaller panels, like up to 370W, 45 lbs, 3.5' x 5', easier for me to handle alone.

Yours are 70 lbs and almost the size of a 4x8 sheet.

And the other options you mention are also possibilities. The OP has not mentioned his use case and how much energy he wants out of his system? So far only Watts have been mentioned but kWhs are what matter in the long run. That is an important element in any system design.

Last edited:
Yes and you are not even getting close to your goal of 2100 Watts. I did not see the NOCT on those panel stated but making a wild ass guess that it is 350 Watts you will only be getting 1400 Watts from four panels. I don't know where you are located and what your options are but maybe there are panels with lower voltage so that you can use 3 in series in two groups for a total of six if you want more power. How did you decide on that goal of 2100 Watts? Is that based on your expected usage or just a desire to max out the capability of your inverter?
above is my "Solar Generators" specs. I was shooting for the max it would take. Pretty much this thing is just for emergencies (3,600 W / 7,000 W Surge / 3,072 Wh.) I figured I'm already late in (the end time game... and I will definitely say it is "very" soon. Anymore on that and I would get biblical).... Love to have done this right (Huge inverter / 220V Capable / Huge Banks) but I figure I snoozed so lets get something quick...for now. Food Spoilage (1,300 W Fridge, of course this just compressor etc wire sizing etc and she'll never do that constant // 200W Chest Freezer // Perhaps a Small Oven at 1,300 W, Hot Plate, Some lights etc..... I would be easily out unless I try to shoot for the most. It will charge it's single LifPo batt: @ 1,600 W AC Wall Plug in about 2 hours. ==== I did contact the engineers at Solar Power Store (would order 2 more at 4 panels...suck up the most likely $500+ Shipping) but mainly asked them to consider my other things (like temp here In Warrington PA... about 20 miles from Philia) Like said they did before say the panels would work (They could have no done temp coefficiency) ----- You (with experience) are thinking 350W (from a 570W)..... Why I started this thread...lol? ...Also guess one can't be too safe in case of lower temps (still don't know why a voltage limiter doesnt exist? ...but that might be a charge controller and conflicting with the one I already have? ///// Well, I'm getting somewhere and learned much more from you guys than I ever knew!...Thanks. === Seems I now no longer have to worry about amps but voltage. ---- Don't have it to spend a lot of money so I thought this route practical for now. ...Even at the most likely final tune of 4 or 5 grand.... Wouldn't be surprized now.

To add on, don't need same model, just similar Voc & Vmp. A different 2 panels wires 2s (or lower voltage panels wired 3s or 4s) that come to within 10% of same voltage will work. Shop locally.

If all panels oriented toward sun at the same time, current from the two strings adds. I think the panels put out 14A and your equipment specifies 15A, so can't do that.

If you mounted panels standing on edge facing West, and added panels back to back facing East, they would put out power different times, morning and evening, so never over 15A. But at Noon, sun hits the edge and makes zero power.

If you tilted one string 30 degrees off vertical, and the other string facing other direction 30 degrees off vertical for 60 degrees between the two strings, they would present pretty much same area to the sun all day. Should still be 15A max, but more hours of production.

I have deliveries to freight terminal, save cost of last mile with liftgate truck. I go get them with my pickup.
I also use smaller panels, like up to 370W, 45 lbs, 3.5' x 5', easier for me to handle alone.

Yours are 70 lbs and almost the size of a 4x8 sheet.
Basically chose the 4 panels at once because of the shipping. To do $440 to ship two panels (from Solar Power Store in Canada) all over again doesn't make sen$e. I am having a hard time finding anyone who will sell single panels...(without having to buy 10 min) ...or I see minimum of 4 but not the ones. ...Dont have my truck anymore makes another difference but could rent of course. // The 2 panels for now was my original plan. Never though of 3 series panels X 2. then parallel. ...Rough when you're brand new at this.

Back