diy solar

diy solar

Second Life for EV Batteries

Kenny_

Solar Addict

Time shifting is one of the keys to the solar power revolution. It allows renewable energy created during one part of the day to be stored in batteries for use during a different part of the day. Traditionally, those batteries have consisted of new battery cells — either NMC or LFP. But one company in California thinks used EV battery packs are a simpler and more cost effective way to store electricity for later use.

#batteries #grid #power

Time shifting is one of the keys to the solar power revolution. It allows renewable energy created during one part of the day to be stored in batteries for use during a different part of the day. Traditionally, those batteries have consisted of new battery cells — either NMC or LFP. But one company in California thinks used EV battery packs are a simpler and more cost effective way to store electricity for later use.

#batteries #grid #power
As more and more EVs age out there will certainly be a huge supply of 2nd life battery packs. The concept of building into a grid resource sounds really good but as an engineer, I wonder about the logistics. Just dealing with all the different pack configurations and voltage is going to be a logistics problem. Throw in that each pack will have a different age and it gets even more complicated.

Rather than reuse the cells at the pack level, they could be broken down to individual cells and rebuilt to a 'standard' battery for grid deployment, but that would be very labor intensive and just the variation in cell types and ages will add complexity.

It's all going to come down to economics. As we start seeing the wave of used EV batteries, will it be more affordable to scrap them, put them into some kind of 2nd life program, or grind them up for raw materials (feedstock) for new batteries? It will be interesting to watch it all play out.

As we start seeing the wave of used EV batteries, will it be more affordable to scrap them, put them into some kind of 2nd life program, or grind them up for raw materials (feedstock) for new batteries? It will be interesting to watch it all play out.
Apparently it's not that easy to grind a lithium battery.

In the UK there are a few used EV batteries popping up on eBay to be repurposed as home storage batteries, the seller will even fit BMS etc

Not personally heard of anyone buying/using one yet though but I'm sure it won't be long.

I think it's a sensible idea if it's cost effective (sorry I'm not an eco warrior, I am more about saving money and keeping me warm)

In the UK there are a few used EV batteries popping up on eBay to be repurposed as home storage batteries, the seller will even fit BMS etc

Not personally heard of anyone buying/using one yet though but I'm sure it won't be long.

I think it's a sensible idea if it's cost effective (sorry I'm not an eco warrior, I am more about saving money and keeping me warm)
Some members here also belong over in this forum: https://secondlifestorage.com/index.php

My concern would be the provenance of these used batteries.

Putting a large quantity of disparate NMC / LiPo cells which have far less benign thermal characteristics than LiFePO4's together, when you don't know what condition they are in, (e.g. some may have been in cars that crashed) is, IMHO risky.

Back