diy solar

diy solar

Setting up solar panels, general questions

Danny94

Hi my beloved DIY experts,
im very hyped about the fact i could finally convince my father and grandfather to install solar panels at home.

Altitude: 650m
Consumption: 7000kw/h per year
Power connection: 5kw/h (necessary peak, we exceed the limit barely. Maybe something around 7kw/h would be better)
Home and surrounding:
Our Location is surrounded by mountains and therefore we have some cutoffs for early sunrise and late sunset.
Cutoff Summer:
~sunrise 10%, ~sunset 20%
Cutoff Winter:
~sunrise 20%, ~sunset 20%

Please check attachment2 (green line ~measurment line):
The House front is build to East, with ~17-18° angle into South (197°), front of top of garage ~220°, stable front 213°, meadow slope 213°, front of stone wall 225°

Please check attachment1:
-> We could install panels on all roofs, fences, balconys, stone wall and meadow (we have a lot more meadow/land in the north).

I would assume:
Roof1 (70m²): sun could reach Panels around 70%-80% of hours, angle of roof is ~30° X axis
Roof2: sun could reach Panels around 60% of hours, angle of roof is ~40° X axis
Roof3 (16m²): sun could reach Panels close to 100% of hours, roof is almost flat ~ 5-10° down at north
Roof4 (20m²): roof 3 could create shadings on roof 4 afternoon, so we can use only a smaller piece of 29m²-> ~20m² where sun could reach Panels close to 100% of hours, roof is almost flat ~ 5-10° down at north
Balconys, Fencys, stone wall: sun could reach around 60%, angle is 90% Z axis
Meadow: sun could reach Panels around 90%-100%, angle is 30° Z axis

Please check attachment3 and 4:
I have tried to get the Sun elevation, daylight time etc with a online tool named suncalc.org
Attachment 4 shows sunrise and sunset on Januar 1. Where the yellow highlight ends shows sunset/sunrise for summer (above east).

According my research we need about 18 -> 20 solar panels (400wp 1.7m x 1.1m) to cover our consumption. => ~ 33-37m²
I have found the following vendors to be good (available in europe):
-Rec
-Q Cell
-Lg
-Panasonic

According further research we need the following parts:
-Solar panels
-Mounting system
-Cables
-Inverter
-2x Disconnect switch
-1x Battery

Questions:
1. Which would be the best place to put solar panels ?
2. How to find the best angle to align the solar panels for most gain ?
3. What would be the cost approximately for all the parts above if we install them by ourself ?
4. Is there a better way to store the energy beside batterys ? (maybe store energy by boiling water or some kind of hydroelectric system)
5. Which inverter type do we need ? (power optimizer, microinverters)
6. Where can we buy all that stuff and maybe can you tell me specification or brand/model of each piece.
7. Any other suggestions ?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1Home2.jpg
    1Home2.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 2Top view home.jpg
    2Top view home.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 3sun angle.png
    3sun angle.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 4sun gradient.jpg
    4sun gradient.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Check out a website called pvwatts where you can input your location and try different panel orientations and angles to see which ones give the best numbers for each month of the year.

LFP Batteries are by far the best and safest way to store power.
Cost of the system no idea!

@robby thank you the site pvatts was helpful, i tried earlier SAM witouth success =).
Should we get something like "Moixa Smart Battery" or do a few simple LFP batteries like 100Ah 12 Volt / 100Ah 24 Volt work ?
Is it necessary to use a inverter infront the batterys and after or do dc from solar panels is fine for the batteries ?

Back