diy solar

diy solar

SHORT CIRCUIT PANEL TEST

This way to test panel amps seems crazy to me. But someone sent me this article that makes it sound legit. short circuit panel

Yeah, that procedure is legit (if the intent is to test Isc amps). With a single string on average size large panel, it might be around 10a Isc so not a huge amount of current. I do think though, if I was going to use this procedure to try and test a full array with multiple series and parallel involved (to test an entire circuit up to where power is presented to the charge controller location), I would put a proper voltage-rated DC disconnect switch in the circuit to short it with, so I don't turn my test into a DC welder while I was testing circuit current. If all your cable is properly sized so it can't meltdown, then it will just flow Isc and no more, on the circuit (@ full Sun) until you break the circuit.

Last edited:
And why do you want to test a panel with Isc? Isc happens just a little below MPP voltage. If half your cells in the panel are bad, you will get the same Isc. Adding some resistance to simulate most of the voltage expected will give a better test and point out potentially bad panels.

And why do you want to test a panel with Isc? Isc happens just a little below MPP voltage. If half your cells in the panel are bad, you will get the same Isc. Adding some resistance to simulate most of the voltage expected will give a better test and point out potentially bad panels.
so how would you recomend testing a panel before it is hjooked up?

Back