diy solar

diy solar

Slide Mounted Solar Panel

RandyP

Solar Enthusiast
Has anyone built a slide mounter solar panel setup, one panel directly above the other for travel, slide out deployed for camp (and shade) ?

Maybe difficult to tell from my avatar photo but that’s kind of what we did on the back of our boat.

And I’ve wondered about the idea of altering one of those fold down ladder racks that comtractors mount on their vans

In my case the panels would be placed on a small vehicle that has roof space for one panel. The second panel would be placed directly above the first. Going down the road I would have power from the top panel thru an mppt solar controller to the battery. Parked, I would slide the top panel out, exposing the bottom panel to the sun. Providing 2x power compared to driving. Providing a small shaded area adjacent to the vehicle.

It's a nice concept!

Perhaps using those heavy duty tool drawer slider things would work.

Maybe make them slide out left and right and have the center area designed to protect the set up from driving wind?

Cassones RV in Mesa Arizona had a Winne Travato on the lot with a slick two panel side mount system using German gas shocks to hold and stabilize in the up and down position. The mounting was done with piano hinge. This appears in a youtube video by AZ expert. I'm damned if I can find the video without watching everything on the channel but the videographer James is a good mechanic and takes on some interesting projects.

Also, Everlanders on youtube has this setup. 4 normally visible, expands out to 8 visible. Not sure if they have any videos that directly talk about it.

Figured I'd use drawer sliders. Have been using a set for the ARB fridge pullout the rear for years. Have not failed me yet, and they are loaded heavy when the fridge is loaded. I'll have to find the original invoice and see if they are still available. Thanks for all the comments.

This is the most extreme solar slider setup I have seen, a 6000Watt step van:

Probably one of the nicest DIY slider systems and video series:

Vaughn

And I’ve wondered about the idea of altering one of those fold down ladder racks that comtractors mount on their vans
I have a few ot these racks on my vans.
They are designed to tuck ladders flat on top of the van, but swing them down to the side for easy ladder removal.
Not sure how they would work with panels...

Back