diy solar

diy solar

SMA solar HH2.0 in combination with Sunny Island and EV Charger

peterbr

I just received our EV Car and trying to get to grips the car charging process priority in combination with the home battery charging via the Sunny Island.
I'm using a Mennekes Ev charger connected to SMA HH2 via SEMP interface

It looks like that if there is enough solar power all power is redirected to the EV-Charger and no power is used to charge the home battery at all.

Is there a way to balance the generated power from the Solar panels a bit better between charging the home battery and the EV charge process.

For instance any excess power from the panels for the first 1500W goes to the home battery and extra goes to the car charger.
Lowering the priority of the ev charger in the load setup does not seem to have any effect as the HH only balances the excess over the defined loads in the system, not taking the home battery in account.
I would rather see the EV charger to be handled not as a simple load but similar as the Island charger. I think it possible to let the EV charger know how much power is available to the EV charger via the SEMP interface. By splitting the total excess solar power between the home battery and the ev charger by HH 2.0 via SEMP, the Solar excess can be distributed between the two.
So an additional parameter to be introduced in the HH2.0 functionality in which the user/operator can set a threshold that any excess solar power over this threshold goes to the EV charger would be a huge improvement. And an additional toggle to switch between EV charger and home battery to where the excess below the threshold goes first.

Seems SMA is falling behind on home energy management functionality to other manufacturers in the market. Is SMA listening to customer feedback on issues like this?

Back