diy solar

diy solar

SMA Sunny Boy Smart Energy SBSE7.7-US-50 etc. on CEC list

Hedges

I See Electromagnetic Fields!
SMA just announced Sunny Boy Smart Energy hybrid, SBSE7.7-US-50 and lower wattage models now on California's CEC website. (Larger up to 11.4kW not yet available.) This makes them available for approval by PG&E (Haven't tried yet, might take time for their system to be updated.)

This inverter takes the place of the Sunny Boy GT PV inverter line, also the Sunny Boy Storage battery inverter line.
The available models accept 3x 600V 15A PV inputs and one HV battery (currently only BYD supported.)
As a hybrid, they can be overpaneled to 200%, e.g. 15kW of PV, with the power not backfeeding grid going to battery (up to 10kW charging.)

Prices seen at the moment range from $2800 (about the MSRP of Sunny Boy), up to $3800 or so. More than the street price of Sunny Boy, around $1800. I hope they will come down in the future, but there may be pent-up demand for a while.

Download Excel file (near upper right of page) to see additional columns, with UL 1741-SB certification etc.

I anticipate installing one or two of these for family & friends. Not battery initially but might add later.
BYD 32kWh battery is about $18k.

I've acquired enough Sunny Boy of recently discontinued model to do my own new system, but not the others.

I don't think either price or performance of SBSE is compelling, given other AIO/hybrid options. In particular, it will require external transfer switch and auto-transformer for backup operation (nearly doubling the price), and its surge capability will be no more than 120% or 125% of continuous. Quality and durability should be very good, like virtually all SMA products.

SMA America
mail

The new Sunny Boy Smart Energy has been officially added to the California Energy Commission’s Solar Equipment List!​

At the heart of the new SMA Home Energy Solution, the Sunny Boy Smart Energy combines the functions of a PV and battery inverter into a single unit. Its innovative design not only minimizes electrical upgrades but also provides homeowners with the flexibility to expand the system as their energy needs evolve.

For years, installers have chosen SMA for reliability, performance and innovation.

Today, we invite you to make that same choice again.

I can't select it in SolarAPP+ yet.
My PG&E NEM 2.0 reservations, one approved one pending, I can't go back and try to select this, even though the pending one they say I can still change capacity.

The SBSE 11.4kW is due out 4Q24.
I'm considering updating pending reservation for SB 7.7 + SB 3.8, as place holder for SBSE 11.4, or Midnight The One, or other larger inverter.
That would need to connect differently to comply with 120% or other rule for our 200A panel.

What hasn't been announced yet is what ABU Automatic Backup Unit or similar will go with SBSE, providing transfer switch and auto-transformer.
SBS gets ABU, about $2500 msrp each. Since the pair is going to cost $5000 or more for SBSE version, other brands in that price range are worth considering. Difference in surge capability, and price of 48V vs. 400V batteries also important.

Back