diy solar

diy solar

Small PV addition

Roaddogg

Hi all,

I had a 8 kw system 22 lg neo panels with enphase micro inverts installed on my house in 2019. Unfortunatelly, my house is not idea for solar panels due to large oaks trees on the west side of the house. The installer had no option but to install 6 panels facing east and 16 panels facing south. With PGE TOU rates, the prime buy back time is from 3 to 9 pm. My system peaks at 1 pm and produces almost nothing after 4 or 5 pm.

I recently finished building a ADU with a 100 amp subpanel in my backyard that is on the far west side of the property which gets light on the roof well into the evening, almost to sunset. I really want to take advantage of the new west facing roof, but don’t want to install a whole new system.

Would the cheapest way to take advantage of the roof be to purchase something like a 2000 watt grid tie inverter and mount several panels on the roof? It would be really nice to have say 2 kW of panels on that roof, with an option to add more down the road, and i know i could do that myself without any issues. I’m not really interested in batteries or installing anything overly complicated. I would love some advice where to start and what would be the most economical way to produce an additional 2 to 3 kW into the evening.

Great question…. It’s almost 200 feet to the main panel and the conduit is underground and would be a huge undertaking. I don’t want to run additions wires in that conduit.

Back