diy solar

diy solar

Snow-Free solar

What type of heater did you end up using? I'm mulling around adding solar to my residence, but we get a decent amount of snow and would feel more comfortable having some what of keeping them clear...

Univ of Toledo passive product is extremely vague in its description -- likely "vaporware".

I'm designing a brute force approach to ground mount snow removal and it's an"extension" of an axis tracker -- mechanize the whole array to go vertical / perpendicular to the ground so that snow slides off, than ensure sufficient ground clearance at the bottom of the array so that the array can return to its original position - still looking at sources for parts to mechanize fully.

mechanize the whole array to go vertical / perpendicular to the ground so that snow slides off, than ensure sufficient ground clearance at the bottom of the array so that the array can return to its original position - still looking at sources for parts to mechanize fully.
This would not have helped me so far this winter. Had many many days of icy crap that would coat the panels and then snow which would make it hard to even clear the snow off by hand since the panel glass would be so bumpy. If you are in warmer climate where temps during day would at least get closer to freezing it would at least make it easier to slide off. Have also had lots of frost especially when going below 0°F and I have to manually rub that off as well.

This would not have helped me so far this winter. Had many many days of icy crap that would coat the panels and then snow which would make it hard to even clear the snow off by hand since the panel glass would be so bumpy. If you are in warmer climate where temps during day would at least get closer to freezing it would at least make it easier to slide off. Have also had lots of frost especially when going below 0°F and I have to manually rub that off as well.
I agree - was hoping to put gravity to work to help resolve the issue.........I really don't want to spray deicers on the array if there's icy buildup -- not even sure if that's safe for the panels.

53635375171_a0b4022466_k_d.jpg
I tried heat tape at my last home with Solar and it was a disaster. What these heat tapes do is create a channel for water to go, they don’t melt the hunk of ice or the foot of snow. I tried it during a storm and it could not keep up. That was in MA.

Now in a new home with Solar in NH and I have the same issue.

I think Metal would be ideal but prefer not get in roof myself nor is it easy to find a roofer I trust working close to the panels.

Wondering if I coat asphalt shingles with something (silicon?) to make it slick. It’s a brand new roof.

I have 30 panels that are ground mount. When it snows, then I go out and scrape the snow off the panels. It is a pain to do, but if I don't do it then power production is zero or close to it until the snow melts. The 12 panels that are on the roof I just leave until the sun does its job. Sometimes it takes days before the panels start to produce again.

I am off grid for 9 months of the year but still have trouble with Nov-Jan. CMP has a good deal going for me now, cross my fingers. They do not charge anything when I am disconnected. Then to reconnect they charge $12 plus a minimum $22 a month plus usage fees. My power bill for Nov-Jan last year was $137. So, I figure that $137 per year for electricity is not that bad.

Without Solar my electric bill would have been around $2400 a year. I think that getting off my but and scraping the panels when it snows is painful but worth it.

I am going to put up another 12 panels this spring or summer to see if I can be totally off grid. I do have a generator, but CMP is cheaper than running it.

Back