diy solar

diy solar

So being in California, I need to get permits right?

Zeebest001

I want to make sure I do everything right the first time.

From my research, I will have to use UL certified solar panels, is this correct?

For the inverter will PG&E and my county, Napa, be ok with the EG4 18Kpv?

In general, yes.

If it's a grid tie installation the AHJ will have to approve the plans, and generally they will want UL listings on everything. If it's not grid tie (or it's net zero) then they don't have an easy way to discover what you're doing - but will still want plans with UL parts if they do discover it.

And within that list, not all UL-1741-SA inverters are accepted. Some additional features have been required since mid 2020. Any -SB should be good enough, but some -SA also have the required features.

Download the spreadsheet (top right corner of web page); it has additional data.

It does show EG4 18kpv is UL 1741 Supplement SB, so I think it is good.

PG&E has on-line process for you to submit your request. Pull-down menus allow only the currently approved hardware. You should get approval from them before buying anything.

In addition to UL, I think you have to meet this list too:

OMG!
I suppose it makes sense to tightly regulate electrical power production. Like what could go wrong?
Myself, I only want a capable back up system of a couple of kilowatts for when that grid goes down.
Evey Code iteration makes that less easily doable.

OMG!
I suppose it makes sense to tightly regulate electrical power production. Like what could go wrong?
Myself, I only want a capable back up system of a couple of kilowatts for when that grid goes down.
Evey Code iteration makes that less easily doable.
It sounds like you need a Ecoflow Delta or one of the other portable Inverters

Getting full permit plan set drawn out is a commodity turnkey thing, and plenty of places know how to deal with California. So there is no need to figure out the CAD software and California specific verbiage that has to be copy pasted onto every page. Just find someone to do that for you.

The main pitfalls here would be stuff you have to figure out anyway. (1) Any add/delete to code requirements in your county (some are to your benefit). (2) who is competent to draw string inverter plans.

(1) is best figured out by spamming forums until you find someone that has done solar in your county or city. There’s plenty of forum people that can answer for PG&E

I have been using Green Lancer and they seem to be doing a good job.
Still worth digging around for local DIY/enthusiasts. There is one forum member here from North Bay that DIYed the design of an AC coupled microinverter + ESS system, I believe even with the extra special fire protection zone oversight.

The equivalent to Green Lancer I used wanted an expensive external disconnect than the minimum needed by my AHJ and PG&E. This was for grid tie and not hybrid install. It may not be as easy to optimize away such things on a hybrid.

Back