diy solar

diy solar

Requirements of PG&E in California

Why would PGE care what solar panels I use? That make so sense to me. Power is power.
PG&E probably doesn't care about the brand but they do care about the specs. Your County permit will require those specifics and a copy of that permit goes into your application for interconnection.
EDIT: The CEC maintains a list of panels and inverters which comply with the State and UL standards. To clarify, equipment on that list is the only thing PG&E and any building department care about. They use known standards to calculate estimated power production and that is why they care. That influences their analysis of the ability of their local infrastructure to handle the backfeed from export.

Last edited:
PG&E probably doesn't care about the brand but they do care about the specs. Your County building permit will require those specifics and a copy of that permit goes into your application for interconnection.
The county cares about the UL listing which includes some structural and electrical safety requirements

It could be a simple on-line form and they don't even look at your drawing until final inspection. Or, they may require structural drawings of your roof before issuing permit.
In my case in the County they had a pre plan check reviewer who helped with a bunch of nitpicks so that my permit ulimately flew through the process of plan check after I (or my drafter) made all the little changes. From what I understand he is in the City and that process may be slightly different.

Back