diy solar

diy solar

SOK or Epoch a good mid range choice?

Juniper

I can’t afford the upper end such as Battleborn and Expion. Don’t want to have to troubleshoot the lower end, (got no skills). Or risk needing to return it for under performance.

Looking at the SOK 280 and the Epoch 300, single battery for RV use.
With apologies to Jo Dee Messina, are these above the below and below the upper?

Thanks!

Personally, I place SOK above BB. User serviceable cells and CAN communication potential on their server rack versions. I've never heard of Expion, but I live in my own little world most days.

Also consider Trophy. Small outfit, but Dan will bend over backwards to help you out. I was trying to get a fellow user with Trophy batteries sorted, and Dan spent no less than twenty minutes on the phone with me troubleshooting 2nd hand.

@HighTechLab is affiliated with currentconnected.com and sells SOK. They have an exceptional reputation for value, service and support. Here's proof:

:)

No. I am not affiliated with them in any way. I simply am 100% confident that they don't suck. :)

I would recommend SOK over epoch 300 because the 300 can not be serviced and is glued shut.

That being epoch also has a 300 with inverter coms which is more and doesn't include free shipping.

My only issue with these batteries is that they have metal cases which can rust so make sure they are not near moisture or water.

Its surprising SOK decided to go with a metal case battery after they make a plastic one for the 206 and the 100.

Last edited:
I would not consider battle born top tier may be 3 years ago but not now. They also do not honor warranty, ask how I know... I have a BB100 with no lid running a JBD 100 ah BMS.

Have you looked at the Sun Fun Kits 300HP? Its a good form factor for the size, plastic case and serviceable. It has some unique features like control over the Bluetooth and you can turn the heater on during standby, most other batteries this is hard coded and heating only turns on during charging and can not be controlled.

There is another company called Big Beard Battery, but they are over priced I think it looks like they are using the same case as the epoch 300 essentials battery. Actually I think Dakota Lithium (super overpriced) is using the same case as well.

First of all, thanks for the insight. I do envy you guys who aren’t afraid to open up a battery and swap out the BMS.
That’s not me. Think beginner drop in battery. User serviceable? Probably never going to open one up. In my eyes you guys are all EEs. I get rattled by the spark of the initial inverter connection (energizing of the caps). Yes, I now use a resistor!

My use will be a few days a month escaping people into the wilds of the Northwest with basically this:

Truck camper (Bigfoot 9.4), (3) 200 watt 24 volt panels going thru a 100/50 Victron. 12 volt compressor fridge (Nova Kool 6406), 12v Giandel 2200 PSW running a small Keurig (1200 watts)
and very little microwave use. So, focusing on a single 300ah +/-. A 200 BMS would be nice as to not stress the system. Form factor is crucial, hopefully fitting into a small double battery compartment (typically holding 2 group 27s).

I looked at Trophy ?, just saw 48v racks.
currentconnected didn’t have the SOK 280, (too new?)
plastic or metal, no issue other than weight which wouldn’t be much.
confused by the Sun Fun Kits with different voltages, (12.8, 13.0, and 13.6) but the form factor is good. Definitely need the pre-built one though.

Again, many thanks Sunshine Eggo, Alkaline, and Sam Cho!

Hopefully not a thread derail, but I'm wondering since dimensions are a critical factor in your decision, why not get three 100ah batts? Obviously more cabling and such, but also more flexibility in terms of mounting compared to one 300ah.

Also, I think if I were considering a 300ah bank, I would just go up to a 48v rack battery.

Just thinking out loud. Those Bigfoot campers are sweet BTW!!

Yeah, I just don’t think 3 of the 100s would fit in the compartment, not even the mini’s. and as you mentioned there’s the cabling…. have not considered the 48v-12v conversion. Really want to keep it simple here.

Since I have both SOK and Epoch…

CurrentConnected has a good reputation, they were helpful with me. You could ask them if they will be stocking that 280Ah and when. Some prefer the metal cases to better release heat from the BMS. Plastic is said to hold the heat in more.

Did you notice on the us.SOK website they featured ‘new Bluetooth’? That is because the older Bluetooth was janky but not fatal. When first ordering, I wanted 12V and 24V capability so ordered a pair of 12V 100Ah but the two units are somewhat different in their nature and it still kind of bugs me.

I would definitely try to have a battery system controlled by one battery management system (BMS) for simplicity’s sake.

I like our Epoch 24V 100Ah water resistant (trolling but was listed as suitable for RV) battery. During wildfire season it is in the back of our truck, being covered with an open shell. Having Bluetooth is seriously helpful and can be a simple, occasional thing. The on/off switch is reassuring. I use it. The design suits our purpose. Have never interacted with Epoch customer service.

I am interested in this thread, & have zero experience with either batteries.

Are there other “close competitors“ in the 300Ah capacity range other than SOK & Epoch ?

Is your bigfoot a short or longbox? On my longbox I am going to remove the battery box and set the batteries under the stove. There is a bunch of open space in there that is wasted on the longbox model. My measurements show room for 2 Eg4 batteries if i so desire. On the fence on my battery purchase still, coming down to SOK vs eg4 vs Build my own

Dooug, it is a long box model. It sounds like you know your way around a Bigfoot. It is under construction now with a November delivery date. I am having Grant (owner) delete both the skylight and the roof rack. Going with (3) 200s on the roof. No A/C, just 2 Fantastic fans, (bunk and galley), 12 volt Nova Kool compressor fridge (6.8 cf). I thought I would wait on purchasing the battery(s) until I saw exactly what will fit. Retired so I can schedule avoiding overly hot trips, so no need for A/C, just head for the Oregon coast, or the Cascades.
as of now, either the SOK 280 or the Epoch 300 seem like they would work well. good form factor. Grant says there is a re-designed battery box, so I’ll see it when it gets here.

Nice a new 9.4!I believe the current models have a bigger battery box so that will help, mine is a 2007 and it barely fits 1 group 27 battery in the box.
Glad to see they will ditch the propane fridge for you. Ill measure the height of my box and see if a 280 would fit. They really do not take advantage of the space under the stove on the LB model.

Eg4 12v server rack or litime 230/300ah unless you need the heaters then those won’t work

Eg4 12v server rack or litime 230/300ah unless you need the heaters then those won’t work
Server rack definately wont fit in the existing battery box. The 300AH formats likely will not fit either. The SOK280 has a good form factor.

I am interested in this thread, & have zero experience with either batteries.

Are there other “close competitors“ in the 300Ah capacity range other than SOK & Epoch ?

Sun Fun Kits 300 HP
BigBeard Battery 280
Dakota Lithium 280
Monster Marine 344

Dakota, Monster Marine, Big Beard, and Epoch Essentials are all using the same case its a pretty common DIY case. The only one from the list above that has standby heating is the SFK the rest usually only have heating if charging under low temp.

if size is not that much of an issue, then you have the enjoybot/li-time/chins/redodo stuff that is about 8D size.

Looking at this these two, SOK 280 will fit in my tongue battery box vs 2 G2 size (280ah vs 200) Looks like the plastic cased epoch 300ah would fit if you cut the carry handles off (probably voiding the warranty). The SOK form factor is great.

Too bad CC doesn’t have the 280, as he is good about answering questions.

Looking at this these two, SOK 280 will fit in my tongue battery box vs 2 G2 size (280ah vs 200) Looks like the plastic cased epoch 300ah would fit if you cut the carry handles off (probably voiding the warranty). The SOK form factor is great.

Too bad CC doesn’t have the 280, as he is good about answering questions.
Shaving the handles from the Epoch does not void your warranty. I did this and communicated with their support. They requested pictures of the casing afterward for their "files". They confirmed as long as you do not open the case, the warranty is still valid. Great guys and quick communication on Facebook Messenger.

Thanks! Not on Facebook but they eventually respond on email, so I will ask them

Shaving the handles from the Epoch does not void your warranty. I did this and communicated with their support. They requested pictures of the casing afterward for their "files". They confirmed as long as you do not open the case, the warranty is still valid. Great guys and quick communication on Facebook Messenger.
JeromeS13 - what length did you get your Epoch 300 down to when you cut the handles off? I have a super tight spec in my camper. TIA

JeromeS13 - what length did you get your Epoch 300 down to when you cut the handles off? I have a super tight spec in my camper. TIA
I didn't measure the length afterwards. But, I do recall the interior width of my battery box was approximately 27.5" wide and I have two of them side by side longways.

Back