diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 12K Grid Loss Notifications

PhotonPowered

I have a Sol-Ark 12K up and running in a grid-tie configuration. I am curious what others' experiences have been when the grid goes down.

My experience is that I see a flicker in the lights (all LED type) but all computers and other loads stay up and running. I also see a flicker when it switches back to grid power.

When your Sol-Ark takes over when the grid goes down do you see a flicker in your lights?
Do you see a flicker when it switches back on to the grid?

Finally, have you figured out a way to get email or text notifications from Sol-Ark / PowerView when the power goes down? I can get the (sometimes delayed) notification from the phone application, but have not figured out how to get an email or text.

I see a flicker with some of LED lights (not Phillips brand) and my APC Smart UPS systems beeps once but nothing other than that happens.
I get the App notification a few minutes later and for the life of me I cannot figure out why Powerview cannot send a notification that the power has returned. I have asked Sol-Ark about this and it gets swept under the rug.

email notification is not even something I have heard them mention as a future feature.

If you have an outlet that is not connected to the Inverter you can try this device: Amazon Link
It seems to work for most people.

Your experience sounds about the same as ours using a Schneider 6848. The transfer switch takes about 8 to 10mS. We do get some LED flickering but other than that its a really smooth transition. In fact, all the appliance clocks and other devices are not affected and the AC coupled Enphase microinverters stay on as well.

Thank you for the answers. The separate device from Amazon is interesting. I will follow up with Sol-Ark to see if email/text notifications can be added.

Thank you for the answers. The separate device from Amazon is interesting. I will follow up with Sol-Ark to see if email/text notifications can be added.
Thanks for the feedback. Currently, we are in the process of migrating PowerView to be maintained in-house stateside. There are a lot of good features and adjustments in the pipeline post Q4 of this year. As for now PowerView currently supports emailing of faults on the system.

Attachments

• 1665157348944.png
    1665157348944.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 16
When your Sol-Ark takes over when the grid goes down do you see a flicker in your lights?

When grid collapses there is a momentary inverter surge current overload before pass-through relays release from grid connection. This causes a short slump or dropout of AC output for about 5-10 msecs. Most electronic equipment can ride across this with their power supply filter capacitors. This all normally happens in less than a half cycle of AC input sinewave but can depend on how crisp the grid collapses and where in the sinewave cycle it collapses.

It is hard on pass-through relay contacts to open under the inverter overload surge current. Over time this can lead to the infamous 'welded relay' failure that prevents inverter from firing up when grid is applied.

It can also put a momentary surge current on batteries so your BMS max current limit setting or short circuit current limit must take this surge for its short duration.

When grid returns the inverter first slowly slews its phasing to match grid again before closing pass-through relays. There is almost no glitch in reconnects other than perhaps a small voltage matching difference between inverter and grid voltage. After connecting the inverter fine tunes its voltage to get the desired pull or push current to the grid.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Currently, we are in the process of migrating PowerView to be maintained in-house stateside. There are a lot of good features and adjustments in the pipeline post Q4 of this year. As for now PowerView currently supports emailing of faults on the system.
Please @Devin have them add a Power has Returned message to the Push notifications.

When grid collapses there is a momentary inverter surge current overload before pass-through relays release from grid connection. This causes a short slump or dropout of AC output for about 5-10 msecs. Most electronic equipment can ride across this with their power supply filter capacitors. This all normally happens in less than a half cycle of AC input sinewave but can depend on how crisp the grid collapses and where in the sinewave cycle it collapses.

It is hard on pass-through relay contacts to open under the inverter overload surge current. Over time this can lead to the infamous 'welded relay' failure that prevents inverter from firing up when grid is applied.

It can also put a momentary surge current on batteries so your BMS max current limit setting or short circuit current limit must take this surge for its short duration.

When grid returns the inverter first slowly slews its phasing to match grid again before closing pass-through relays. There is almost no glitch in reconnects other than perhaps a small voltage matching difference between inverter and grid voltage. After connecting the inverter fine tunes its voltage to get the desired pull or push current to the grid.
Your explanations make sense. Thank you.

But, I can still see a flicker in the lights when the grid is re-connected. I would not have expected that as I had expected a phase/voltage match and a relay closing with no voltage or current across the terminals. I will have to hook up a scope and current probe sometime to see the actual waveforms.

I have a Sol-Ark 12K up and running in a grid-tie configuration. I am curious what others' experiences have been when the grid goes down.

My experience is that I see a flicker in the lights (all LED type) but all computers and other loads stay up and running. I also see a flicker when it switches back to grid power.

Finally, have you figured out a way to get email or text notifications from Sol-Ark / PowerView when the power goes down? I can get the (sometimes delayed) notification from the phone application, but have not figured out how to get an email or text.
Address flickering LED lights - Under Power Factor Settings, try enabling Q (V) check box. This is recommended by SolArk on one of the Youtibe Videos they did here -

Hi, reactivating an old thread here. I have a 15k up and running now and while I do get a very quick led light flicker, the seamless backup is so seamless I might not know the grid is down.

@Devin

Did PowerView integration bring a push notification for grid outage? If so, it does not work for me as I have tested by flipping off the meter's breaker. are their settings that need to be changed?

Hi, reactivating an old thread here. I have a 15k up and running now and while I do get a very quick led light flicker, the seamless backup is so seamless I might not know the grid is down.

@Devin

Did PowerView integration bring a push notification for grid outage? If so, it does not work for me as I have tested by flipping off the meter's breaker. are their settings that need to be changed?
Yes it is in the App but you need the Dongle in place connected to the Internet and the Inverter and App running on the Account.
It will alert you when the power goes Off and When it Comes back on.

Yes it is in the App but you need the Dongle in place connected to the Internet and the Inverter and App running on the Account.
It will alert you when the power goes Off and When it Comes back on.
Missed this till now. Thanks. I will give it a try. Nothing needs to be turned on or off I. The settings for it to work?

Missed this till now. Thanks. I will give it a try. Nothing needs to be turned on or off I. The settings for it to work?
No settings, it seems to be automatic once the App is installed and running on your account.
Keep in Mind that if the utility power glitches it can cause the system to go into full Inverter power for 2-3 minutes and this will cause a notification to be sent out indicating a Power Failure. So you may get a notification of power failure and be wondering whats going on. If you check the Inverter you will see it is disconnected from the Grid. When Power does return the Inverter will wait 2-3 minutes to make sure the Power is stable, so the "Power Returned" notification will always be delayed by 2-3 minutes.
I say 2-3 Minutes because you can change the delay time for the Inverter to go back online.

In Short
Power Out Notification is almost Instant.
Return of Power notification is delayed until the Inverter feels the Power is Stable. Message goes out when it reconnects.

Last edited:
I have a SolArk 15k. I receive notifications on my phone of both power disconnects and reconnects. However, only the power reconnects are logged. If both we logged then historically length of power outages would more easily could be reviewed. Optional email of notifications would also help.

Back