diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 18k Questions

Latitude28

Hello,
First time posting and have a couple of questions concerning thr Sol-Ark 18k. I have read that the 18k doesn't like inductions motors.....is that really the case? If an 18k inverter has a problem with an internal system, say the MPPT, can that be field serviced or must you send the whole inverter off for repair?

Do you mean the Sol-Ark 15k?
I have not heard of any problems with it starting inductive loads. I know people using them with 5 ton AC units while powering the rest of their house.
As for the MPPT I am pretty sure it is user replaceable.

Do you mean the Sol-Ark 15k?
I have not heard of any problems with it starting inductive loads. I know people using them with 5 ton AC units while powering the rest of their house.
As for the MPPT I am pretty sure it is user replaceable.
My bad....yes the Sol-Ark 15k. I am puting together a "whole house" battery backup system and in the planning stages as we speak. I really like the Sol-Ark 15k but had read somewhere the inductive loads was an issue. We have a 2 ton ac unit and a 1hp well pump plus the whole house. If folks are running a whole house and the 5 ton ac unit sounds like a non issue.....thanks for the real world comment!

Just be aware that even though the 15k is rated for 200A passthrough, it can't actually put out 200A of inverter load -- it's rated at 62.5A@240V = 15kw - so you might want to either aggregate critical loads into a separate panel (what I did) and then put that critical panel behind the 15k, or run a pair of them (or 3?), to be able to get close to the 200A rating that most houses need.

Also, there are "Slow Start" modules you can install on most AC units that will make the "kick" of turning on much less, and not exceed AMP ratings of the unit.

That being said, love the 15k - fantastic all-in-one - just would do things differently if I was going to supply an entire house. (Thanks to gas being phased out, everything in my house is electric, so my service is dual 200A panels -- that would take some SERIOUS work to run behind all Sol-arks)

Just be aware that even though the 15k is rated for 200A passthrough, it can't actually put out 200A of inverter load -- it's rated at 62.5A@240V = 15kw - so you might want to either aggregate critical loads into a separate panel (what I did) and then put that critical panel behind the 15k, or run a pair of them (or 3?), to be able to get close to the 200A rating that most houses need.

Also, there are "Slow Start" modules you can install on most AC units that will make the "kick" of turning on much less, and not exceed AMP ratings of the unit.

That being said, love the 15k - fantastic all-in-one - just would do things differently if I was going to supply an entire house. (Thanks to gas being phased out, everything in my house is electric, so my service is dual 200A panels -- that would take some SERIOUS work to run behind all Sol-arks)
Elaborate on gas being phased out for you

Elaborate on gas being phased out for you

In my state (WA state - USA) our delightful government made it impossible for new construction to use gas hot water heaters, gas furnaces, etc. The builders won't sell it, the contractors won't install it. We were forced to switch out both hot water and furnace in our build.

There's *some* pushback (https://www.eenews.net/articles/washington-state-hits-the-brakes-on-landmark-gas-ban/) but for the most part, it's becoming incredibly difficult to use anything other than electricity for the big-ticket-items in your home. :(

My bad....yes the Sol-Ark 15k. I am puting together a "whole house" battery backup system and in the planning stages as we speak. I really like the Sol-Ark 15k but had read somewhere the inductive loads was an issue. We have a 2 ton ac unit and a 1hp well pump plus the whole house. If folks are running a whole house and the 5 ton ac unit sounds like a non issue.....thanks for the real world comment!
I have 2 of them in parallel but I run 3 ton and 2 ton Heat pump and 1.5 HP well pump.
Now it is a Grundfos SQ pump so that might have something to do with it but I don’t even have the micro airs on my HP anymore.
1 didn’t need it because it was already inverter type and 1 had a 348 microair and went bad.
I got a replacement under warranty just never replaced it.
Just wire it back to normal.

Running a house with a 400 amp service with absolutely no issues other than not having enough sunlight in December.

I also run my shop off both with welders , lathes, drill press etc. no issues.

If you size it right you should have no problems.

In my state (WA state - USA) our delightful government made it impossible for new construction to use gas hot water heaters, gas furnaces, etc. The builders won't sell it, the contractors won't install it. We were forced to switch out both hot water and furnace in our build.

There's *some* pushback (https://www.eenews.net/articles/washington-state-hits-the-brakes-on-landmark-gas-ban/) but for the most part, it's becoming incredibly difficult to use anything other than electricity for the big-ticket-items in your home. :(
That is concerning and I would raise hell about that..

It’s not just Oregon either, CA of course and many other places have or are in the process of adopting these regs. It’s a serious overreach IMhO
Wow I'd have to get a wood boiler if they ever did that to me

Wow I'd have to get a wood boiler if they ever did that to me
They put builders in a real Catch-22 as well, because in order to get the "Energy Star/plus/platinum/etc" certifications for their builds, they have to follow all the current STATE regs to the letter. That means zero gas appliances (at least in this state) right now, or they lose the cert, rebate monies, etc.

We had them pull gas to each of the locations (garage/hw/furnace/etc) intending *someday* to swap out those appliances with gas powered ones. It's just not free. :(

* 90 gallon gas HW tanks are $2600-3000 plus installation
* House-Sized Gas Furnances are $7k-10k plus installation
* etc etc etc.

They put builders in a real Catch-22 as well, because in order to get the "Energy Star/plus/platinum/etc" certifications for their builds, they have to follow all the current STATE regs to the letter. That means zero gas appliances (at least in this state) right now, or they lose the cert, rebate monies, etc.

We had them pull gas to each of the locations (garage/hw/furnace/etc) intending *someday* to swap out those appliances with gas powered ones. It's just not free. :(

* 90 gallon gas HW tanks are $2600-3000 plus installation
* House-Sized Gas Furnances are $7k-10k plus installation
* etc etc etc.
I'll be more worried when they start cutting off existing natural gas appliances in perfect working order.

Back