diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark Output vs Electrical Bill

virghilts

Hello All
New to the forums and new to solar, I'm looking for resources/help on dispute on what my Electrical Co. (LADWP) is seeing on my grid tied system vs what my logs and Sol-Ark is reporting. I've been trying to get my installer to help with little response, wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to help resolve or even confirm I'm reading my output correctly.

Can you share your logs and what you are being billed for? This seems like the best way to get assistance. How large is the difference?

You've got an installer, not DIY, so any chance of getting them to come back and recheck everything based on the difference in the power bill?

Did you go through the paperwork and get PTO(permission to operate)?

Can you share your logs and what you are being billed for? This seems like the best way to get assistance. How large is the difference?

You've got an installer, not DIY, so any chance of getting them to come back and recheck everything based on the difference in the power bill?

Did you go through the paperwork and get PTO(permission to operate)?
Hello 400bird, yes we have our PTO, I've attached the electrical bill and the output of the Sol-Ark log formatted in Excel and a CSV. The installer pointed to the transformer, but the LADWP checked it and it's within variance, they also checked the meter and it was ok. I could be I'm misinterpreting the logs, so wanted to check if anyone could clarify that or if I need to pull in a paid consultant. I have more bills and tracking but this gives a quick sample. (sorry for the small type)

Attachments

• May 30 LADWP_Electrical Track_v1.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • Solar Tracking-PV Pro_Landscape.pdf
    45.8 KB · Views: 30
Critical Load Subpanel, images attached.

Attachments

• Library - 1 of 3.jpeg
    Library - 1 of 3.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Library - 2 of 3.jpeg
    Library - 2 of 3.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Library - 3 of 3.jpeg
    Library - 3 of 3.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 57
Totally off grid 15 months. Avg power company kWh: 1500. My two 12K’s average output kWh: 1000. I guess the power companies “measure” power differently than our Sol-Arks. I know every time they changed our meter for the new improved version, our cost went up. Love our $0/mo.

Doesn't look like your SolArk is using the external CT, so it doesn't see the house loads. Somewhat surprised by your bill; if accurate it seems like your system was really undersized.

Doesn't look like your SolArk is using the external CT, so it doesn't see the house loads. Somewhat surprised by your bill; if accurate it seems like your system was really undersized.
This is what I don't understand based on what I'm seeing from the Sol-Ark logs, unless I'm reading them incorrectly. Is that a design choice or just a mistake or is there a configuration that would support this design for it to read the house loads? (Sorry if I butchered that, trying to learn)

Not that I'm aware of, but I do not believe so as I don't see it on the equipment list. Is their one someone could recommend?
CT's come with your inverter.
Working Meters should be found in the manual .

For their 230v counterparts the Eastron an chint meters are approved and do work

CT's come with your inverter.
Working Meters should be found in the manual .

For their 230v counterparts the Eastron an chint meters are approved and do wor
I looked at the app and took the following screen shot. Wouldn't the P-Ext-CT-L1 and P-Ext-CT-L2 have values if installed correctly?

Attachments

• 8242023_Grid.PNG
    8242023_Grid.PNG
    134.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Would it be correct or incorrect to install a system without the CTs? I'm trying to narrow down the issue do you think that's a good place to start?

Would it be correct or incorrect to install a system without the CTs? I'm trying to narrow down the issue do you think that's a good place to start?
It depends..
If your inverters grid is the only device connected to your grid meter ( sort of a man-in-the-middle), and you whole home connected to the load port, the internal CT's will be used, otherwise CT's should be used

If the CTs are installed, usually they would be installed between your meter and main breaker. If you take the cover off your main breaker panel you may see the CTs. The CTs came with your sol ark so they should be installed or in your possession. If you open the sol ark you should see wires for the CTs, if they are installed.

If the CTs are installed, usually they would be installed between your meter and main breaker. If you take the cover off your main breaker panel you may see the CTs. The CTs came with your sol ark so they should be installed or in your possession. If you open the sol ark you should see wires for the CTs, if they are installed.
I opened the panels and the Sol-Ark and based on what I see in the manual I don't see any connections. I also opened the panels and do not see the CT connectors. My installer did not leave any connectors so was this just a miss?

Attachments

• Sol-Ark.jpg
    Sol-Ark.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Library - 1 of 5.jpeg
    Library - 1 of 5.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Library - 2 of 5.jpeg
    Library - 2 of 5.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 38
Ok, so I reached out to the installer and sent him the main panel images and he said they couldn't put it there as LADWP would issues huge fines. He claims it was installed on the load panel, I sent him the image attached and that I don't see it and I didn't understand why it wasn't wired to the Sol-Ark. He came back and said it's automatic at the load panel breaker inside the Sol-Ark. Is this a correct set-up? Sorry all, just trying to get to the bottom of this, if the system is the wrong size, so be it. I'm trying to learn, and if the system size is the root cause, then will look for solutions down that path, or if it's a configuration or install issue then want to chase that down first.

Attachments

• Sol-Ark.jpg
    Sol-Ark.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Library - 1 of 5.jpeg
    Library - 1 of 5.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 16
Back