diy solar

diy solar

Solar array direction when most of the production is from noon onwards

y0bailey

Solar Enthusiast
I'm going to throw another 8 panels on some ground mounts, and I've spent the last days in the yard with a sun tracking app. I'm using the space I have, which isn't optimal, but that's life.

I'm going to have minimal direct sunlight until around noon, and that got me thinking about what direction I should be facing these panels.

Seems like Southwest may make more sense because on a day like today they would be producing from noon to 5:30pm
For some reason I can't find any great resources for optimal direction based on time of day.

Thoughts?

I’m doing something similar and using SunOnTrack app Augmented Reality function. My problem is 11am and after for my extra panels. I’d say use the app to find the most sun and lay some panels out and test. My best chance for more winter production is south west also. With two 400w panels I was able to get 3.1kw out of them for the day. Will go down from here but I’ll take it. Used the app to move the timeline to December 20th to look for worst case scenario.
IMG_3349.jpeg
IMG_3350.jpeg
IMG_3351.jpeg

Last edited:
Southwest seems good, but recommend you use a solar app like PV watts or the one in my signature block to try for sure and get better data.

If you’re looking for December production, west southwest may be where the sunsets, so more southerly would be good. Vice versa for summer.

Also, if you're trying to optimize for winter production you could mount them 15 deg steeper to better catch low sun angle.

Back