diy solar

diy solar

Solar Charge Controller recommendation

Look on YouTube. There’s a lot of clever campers out there who have tacked this problem.

Sounds like making a way to tilt it is a must.

Or, you get more panels. Very few folks with solar panels on their RV do anything but a flat mount. My RV roof is inclined toward the front of the trailer and that's where the panel is located. Sometimes I orient my trailer to get the best sun, sometimes I don't. Mostly, I ensure that I'm not in the shade. Either way, I get a good charge out of my single 150 watt panel.

Going up on the roof a couple times a day (2 or 3!) to tilt/aim panels gets old REALLY fast. Big cheap panels, are, uh, cheap.

Yep. That's the same complaint I've read in multiple places from people that have manual tilt adjustment. It sounds great from a marketing standpoint. But from a Level of Effort standpoint, combined with cost, it probably doesn't make sense. There are automated tilt systems but they cost $500 per panel. Yikes! Add another panel and call it a day.

I guess it just depends on what kind of person you are. If your the lazy type that just throws an extra panel on your roof so you have something to talk about, sure do it that way. If your the other type of person who likes a challenge and to create, then you could buy a 50$ actuator, some aluminum angle and some switches you can make your own. Add a decent servo and a lazy Susan and you can make a cheap dual axis tracker. You could also look at folding panels. Last time I looked there are 100-120w mono folding panels on eBay for around 120$ you could store them inside and then deploy them wherever you need. Or you can just slap another flat panel up there because, like I said. It’s more of a conversation piece than actually functional because we know there’s always a 220v next to your camping spot?

Or, you get more panels. Very few folks with solar panels on their RV do anything but a flat mount. My RV roof is inclined toward the front of the trailer and that's where the panel is located. Sometimes I orient my trailer to get the best sun, sometimes I don't. Mostly, I ensure that I'm not in the shade. Either way, I get a good charge out of my single 150 watt panel.
Really?? I threw a 100w panel in my yard flat and it’s pulling 3-4a. So your likely pulling what 6 maybe 7 amps? What is that giving a good charge too? A 12v battery only used to run your CPAP?

I agree with adding an extra panel it is not lazy it is practical. A auto tracking system will cost more than the panel then you have more possibilities of something coming lose as well. For someone who has plenty of time and knowledge an auto tracker could most definitely be a fun project but also probably overkill. Not that there is anything wrong with that it's just your priorities.

Yes an AUTO tracker is overkill. A simple system with with a couple actuators and switches is not. You can easily raise/lower manually with a switch or you can get more complex and add a second axis. I don’t think most people would agree that wiring a couple switches is that complicated.

I just don’t understand this carefree attitude when it comes to campers. Any other application people would want to maximize the potential energy and their investment. Who’s using second rate used cells on their rv project? Who’s buying cheap no name Chinese charge controllers? I bet no one here is. So why just be satisfied with throwing them
up there flat and calling it good? They’re so inefficient already. People might as well spend their money pimping out their generator. At least that’s going to power the damn thing.

Back