diy solar

diy solar

solar design

Shamy

Hi,

I have 185Ah x4 batteries and 80w x12 solar panels and a 40A controller. Please suggest the best way to design the solar array for an efficient way to charge the battery. 10hrs of sunshine is available in my area.

Thanks

You'll need to provide more information such as the make and model of the controller; the specs of panels (often a label on the back provides some vital information); how much power you plan on taking out of the batteries each day etc.

Solar panel spec: NOM MAX OUTPUT IS 80W
OPEN CCT VOLT : 21.5 V
NOMINAL MAX OUTPUT CURRENT :4.73 A
MOM MAX OUTPUT VOLT : 16.9 V
MAX SYST VOLT :600 V
CONTROLLER : Xantrex C40 -C SEREIS

Hope this info would help.
thanks

If you dont already have an inverter or anything else that you are wanting to use that needs 12v then I would suggest using your 4 batteries in series for a 48v system. Looks like you charge controller is capable of it. Higher voltage requires less current to deliver the same amount of power, so you can use much smaller (and much less expensive) wire.

Wire your solar panels into 3 strips of 4 panels connected in series, putting the 3 strings in parallel. This way your wire will only need to be able to handle 15A max current instead of 60A if you ran a 12v system.

The downside is that if one panel in a string gets shaded it will effectively block power from the others in series with it whereas parallel panels wont be affected. You will want to strategically arrange your panels according to any shadows you might have. For example if there is a situation where shadow could cover 3 panels you want those to be 3 from the same series string so only that strip is affected, so you still have 2 strings making full power. Rather than 1 panel from each string getting covered which would completely tank your power output even though the 9 other panels are in full sun.

Good luck

Thanks
could you check me the size of inverter for the system with 185Ah battery bank and my energy consumption is 3KW. How long it will last with this capacity?

Thanks
could you check me the size of inverter for the system with 185Ah battery bank and my energy consumption is 3KW. How long it will last with this capacity?
185AH x 4 batteries x 12v = 8880Wh
8880Wh/3000W= 2.96 hours

My question is, what are you doing that uses 3KW?

Back