diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel mounting bracket for 'Met(al) Tile' roof?

tinyt

Solar Enthusiast
Is there an affordable UL Listed bracket for this kind of roof?
Met-Tile.pngMet-Tile Profile Crest to Crest.png
The only one I can find so far is this, but it is for a crest to crest distance of only 2.67".
S-5 CorruBracket.png

Use the details Met-Tile has for a standard vent pipe flashings then use Iron Ridge mounting system
If this is the pipe flashing, I can't figure out how to make it work.

Met-Tile Pipe Flashing.jpg

Also, from Iron Ridge, this is what I found.
Iron Ridge Tile Replacement.png

Looks like it will need a lot of work to install (Cut out a section of Met-Tile at the right spot, etc.)

Yeah the solar panels will be mounted to the
Sorry….. the solar panels will be mounted to the Iron Ridge rails which will be attached to the mounts that are bolted through the plywood roof deck and into the rafters so yes it is a project. What ever mounting system you use will spell out the spacing and attachment details. A roofing contractor can remove the metal tile panels in the specific locations, install the mounts cut the holes in the roof tile panels and then reinstall the tile panels making sure you have a waterproof connection. Building inspector may want to sign off on the attachment process too.
Sometimes people will opt to remove the roofing tiles all together in the area where the solar panels are to be installed, install the mounts and use a composition shingle over the roof area where the panels will go so they aren’t walking on the metal roofing tile, then when everything is installed the roofer can fill in areas around and up to the solar panels. From the ground it looks like the original tile roof.

Sorry….. the solar panels will be mounted to the Iron Ridge rails which will be attached to the mounts that are bolted through the plywood roof deck and into the rafters so yes it is a project. What ever mounting system you use will spell out the spacing and attachment details. A roofing contractor can remove the metal tile panels in the specific locations, install the mounts cut the holes in the roof tile panels and then reinstall the tile panels making sure you have a waterproof connection. Building inspector may want to sign off on the attachment process too.
Sometimes people will opt to remove the roofing tiles all together in the area where the solar panels are to be installed, install the mounts and use a composition shingle over the roof area where the panels will go so they aren’t walking on the metal roofing tile, then when everything is installed the roofer can fill in areas around and up to the solar panels. From the ground it looks like the original tile roof.
Not for a tiny DIY'er, I guess.

Ha ha no not really. I mean I trenched 230 ft and installed conduit and wire from the main panel back to the proposed solar system, installed the mounts on my composition roof with a roofer doing the flashing, installed the iron ridge X-100 rail system, then the wiring, microinverters and the panels, then had an electrician do the final hook up…… so it can be a DIY for the most part.
Here in California all this requires an engineer, a set of plans and a building permit too.

Back