diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel security/anti-theft

Rubber 50 cal on opposing corners of the sea container?
Then you would have a guy like me out there trying to play with the deuce!

You can get wire through nuts - you wire the nut onto the bolt when you are done. You can spot-weld a few nuts/bolts if that is easier. Seems like a TON of work. Blue loctite would still let you get things apart if you need to but make it harder to take apart. Red will do that too - just make your life a nightmare if you have to take it apart (been there/done that).

Is PV panel theft even an issue? Just seems like too much trouble for your avg crackhead.
That because you think on a different level… a higher level…you are a decent citizen.. in my nearest city 20 miles away , the city council has posted signs around town to “ Do Not Leave Change Visable In Your Car Console Or Cup holder”. And Lock You Car… That is pretty low on the totem pole for a person to see 2 quarters and a nickel and be motivated to break in the car to get it… but yet it happens …

That because you think on a different level… a higher level…you are a decent citizen.. in my nearest city 20 miles away , the city council has posted signs around town to “ Do Not Leave Change Visable In Your Car Console Or Cup holder”. And Lock You Car… That is pretty low on the totem pole for a person to see 2 quarters and a nickel and be motivated to break in the car to get it… but yet it happens …

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, that change is money, as little as it may be. Most of these people are after easy money for drugs, or something they can trade to the dealer for drugs.

I write software for video surveillance, analytics, and other automation. I've seen a lot of footage over 25years.

Not saying someone won't steal PV panels, I'm just saying it's less likely a target.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, that change is money, as little as it may be. Most of these people are after easy money for drugs, or something they can trade to the dealer for drugs.

I write software for video surveillance, analytics, and other automation. I've seen a lot of footage over 25years.

Not saying someone won't steal PV panels, I'm just saying it's less likely a target.
I totally agree on that , the easier the better. And all the wiring may actually scare em a bit… who knows for sure.

You’re probably right. But there’s also a lot of people in the desert who are just poor. Living off the grid and solar panels are almost better than drugs because it helps them live cheaply. These people might not even be a regular thief but is just cruising by and sees big shiny solar panels that are held down by 4 regular bolts and thinks to themselves “hey those would look good on my trailer and would power my new Neon Budweiser sign I just put up in the window”. Like I said. I’m looking for a cheap and easy way to add some security to my panels. If someone wants them they will get them but it doesn’t hurt.

It’s like putting a gate up at the entrance of a private road. If someone wants to get by it, they will just hop it or cut the chain with a pair of $25 bolt cutters. But you still put the gate there to keep 99% of bypassers off your property.

You’re probably right. But there’s also a lot of people in the desert who are just poor. Living off the grid and solar panels are almost better than drugs because it helps them live cheaply. These people might not even be a regular thief but is just cruising by and sees big shiny solar panels that are held down by 4 regular bolts and thinks to themselves “hey those would look good on my trailer and would power my new Neon Budweiser sign I just put up in the window”. Like I said. I’m looking for a cheap and easy way to add some security to my panels. If someone wants them they will get them but it doesn’t hurt.

It’s like putting a gate up at the entrance of a private road. If someone wants to get by it, they will just hop it or cut the chain with a pair of $25 bolt cutters. But you still put the gate there to keep 99% of bypassers off your property.

I can see that, different scene. I live in the city where the drugged-out street people are the ones that steal stuff mostly.

Here goes.

Cool project and the shade will help.

Spring traps, etc illegal since forever. Deal and move on. Sorry.

Conex are a little hard to get up on. Put it on 3’ legs or pads. Need a ladder or have to climb the door. Grease the door parts you would grab or stand on.

Security screws/nuts.

Permanent lock Tite. Lots.

Concertina wire is a nice look. Over the door. Broken glass maybe. You will have your own ladder.

12 volt (or whatever) big ass siren (Amazon) attached to a trailer break away switch. Also a strobe up top. Noisy as heck. Needs independent battery as it will run all the way down. Can use AA with a little holder.

Paint the edges of panels with rust paint (modern masters). Make them look shitty. Maybe one broken panel hanging over the edge.

Fake solar security cameras with blinky red lights.

Real cell phone trail cams. Very cool real time photos texted to you.

Driveway alarm (battery powered).

Tire spike strips are only legal here with appropriate signage. But then ok.

Caltrops are a state jail felony here. But interesting (and legal) as curios as I recall.

That’s all I got. Good luck!

Reactions: JRH
Then you would have a guy like me out there trying to play with the deuce!

You can get wire through nuts - you wire the nut onto the bolt when you are done. You can spot-weld a few nuts/bolts if that is easier. Seems like a TON of work. Blue loctite would still let you get things apart if you need to but make it harder to take apart. Red will do that too - just make your life a nightmare if you have to take it apart (been there/done that).
But ..... if you knew what a ma deuce was, would you not be smart enough to stay away? :)

The best deterrent is not having anything visible for them to steal. If there's nothing seen of value, they won't try to steal it. That's how I would be thinking. Obvious theft deterrents only highlight that there's something of value to steal. So I'd hide the system and then use secondary theft deterrents, like tamper resistant hardware as a second line of defense.

Here goes.

Conex are a little hard to get up on. Put it on 3’ legs or pads. Need a ladder or have to climb the door. Grease the door parts you would grab or stand on.

Security screws/nuts.

Concertina wire is a nice look. Over the door. Broken glass maybe. You will have your own ladder.

12 volt (or whatever) big ass siren (Amazon) attached to a trailer break away switch. Also a strobe up top. Noisy as heck. Needs independent battery as it will run all the way down. Can use AA with a little holder.

Paint the edges of panels with rust paint (modern masters). Make them look shitty. Maybe one broken panel hanging over the edge.

Caltrops are a state jail felony here. But interesting (and legal) as curios as I recall.

Some great suggestions. I like the siren and strobe idea. I was thinking about using trip wires wired to 12 gauge shotgun blanks. They make little holders for the shells or just the primers. Loud as hell and might be enough to make someone turn away.

I also like the rust paint on the edge of the panels. Although I just learned that aluminum panels on steel unistrut can cause natural rust so maybe I can spare the paint ?

ya see , ya may as well just Give the stuff to em …that’s where we’re at anymore.
If you have something you want to get rid of that the garbage truck won't haul off, set it out on the street and put a for sale sign on it. Tweakers will have it hauled off by sunrise. Works in reverse for stuff you want to keep. ...put a For Free sign on it.

Some great suggestions. I like the siren and strobe idea. I was thinking about using trip wires wired to 12 gauge shotgun blanks. They make little holders for the shells or just the primers. Loud as hell and might be enough to make someone turn away.

I also like the rust paint on the edge of the panels. Although I just learned that aluminum panels on steel unistrut can cause natural rust so maybe I can spare the paint ?
Have the trip wire blank launch a flare (assuming no fire danger). Or a Roman candle. They will assume someone will see it.

If you have something you want to get rid of that the garbage truck won't haul off, set it out on the street and put a for sale sign on it. Tweakers will have it hauled off by sunrise. Works in reverse for stuff you want to keep. ...put a For Free sign on it.
Ha!

How about pile of things that look like catalytic converters to divert thier attention? Oh... dip a roll of copper wire in an epoxy bath then fasten it down so well that they are forced to spend hours trying to get more than few inches of wire?

Here goes.

Security screws/nuts.

Now that using your smarts…. Love it

Here goes.

Security screws/nuts.

I say security bolts/nuts, and make it unattractive.

Security cams unfortunately don't really deter people

The only legal and practical solution is security bolts.
You could also put curled up Razor wire around the top rim and bolt or tack weld it down at multiple points.
At that point only the most determined person would go after them.

Back