diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panels on a Tesla

How about this aftermarket company from Austin Texas making them for Teslas because of high quantity, but also has non-tesla generic universal version that'll clip onto most cars. Mentions playing with different integrations y splitter, overland kit, dealing with overcharging, within warranty spec, aiming for customer installable and/or dealer install
So much B.S. in one video:
1. You can't just use a "Y splitter" at the charge port. First, installation wise, it would require a qualified person to install this, it's definitely not "plug and play" like the guy suggests.
Unless he means an external splitter, which would add drag and maybe unsafe while driving.
Second, as far as I know, NO EV will allow you to drive while charging! You are welcome to try this at home: Put your EV to charge and try to drive away. If you are able, then your EV has a huge safety bug !

So this guy is really selling dreams and obviously he has no real knowledge of what he's talking about.
There is no easy way to charge the HV battery of an EV from onboard solar while driving, as an aftermarket product.

2. When they say thier system can add an X amount of miles a day, do they take into consideration the added weight and increase in total consumption of the vehicle having this system? I think not.
This is a big factor which is often overlooked.
We all know how heavy batteries and inverters can be. The guy specifically mentioned thier product will consist of a battery and inverter.

So much B.S. in one video:
1. You can't just use a "Y splitter" at the charge port. First, installation wise, it would require a qualified person to install this, it's definitely not "plug and play" like the guy suggests.
Unless he means an external splitter, which would add drag and maybe unsafe while driving.
Second, as far as I know, NO EV will allow you to drive while charging! You are welcome to try this at home: Put your EV to charge and try to drive away. If you are able, then your EV has a huge safety bug !

So this guy is really selling dreams and obviously he has no real knowledge of what he's talking about.
There is no easy way to charge the HV battery of an EV from onboard solar while driving, as an aftermarket product.

2. When they say thier system can add an X amount of miles a day, do they take into consideration the added weight and increase in total consumption of the vehicle having this system? I think not.
This is a big factor which is often overlooked.
We all know how heavy batteries and inverters can be. The guy specifically mentioned thier product will consist of a battery and inverter.
hmmm...

Does urinating into a swimming pool raise its level? Technically, "yes", but...

The range of a car most effectively be extended by lowering its weight and/or drag. I would bet money that dropping the suspension 1", adding 5psi to each tire, and replacing the side mirrors with cameras (which is what Musk wanted to do originally but was federally denied) would benefit a Model 3 range more than converting it into a mobile helipad.

Interestingly FMCSA allowed my RV manufacturer to remove mirrors and use cameras. It's amazing why we can't do this with all cars yet. C8 Corvette rear mirror is a camera as the rear is blocker, other Chevys have the option for rear view camera but is mirror when off. Although you don't legally need a rear view it's just the principle that the tech is there

Are the 12v batteries in EV’s still typically lead acid? Or another chemistry?
Many EV still have lead battery, but some EV start to have lithium 12V.
The Tesla Plaid is one example. It have a tiny lithium battery. Funny fact, it's not a 4S LFP (13.2V nominal), but a 4S NMC, so 14.8V nominal and up to 16.8V max.
I don't know about the Cybertruck 48V auxiliary battery*, but I can't wait to discover how that work.
*No 12V system, but a 48V system.

Many EV still have lead battery, but some EV start to have lithium 12V.
The Tesla Plaid is one example. It have a tiny lithium battery. Funny fact, it's not a 4S LFP (13.2V nominal), but a 4S NMC, so 14.8V nominal and up to 16.8V max.
I don't know about the Cybertruck 48V auxiliary battery*, but I can't wait to discover how that work.
*No 12V system, but a 48V system.
The Cybertruck 48v design is genius. Apparently it uses POE type networking between the devices which POE++ (802.3bt) can give up to 100watts per port. Networking has used this technology for decades for poe phones, wifi access points, cameras and tons of other things. It also can pull power from the main switch to power another switch and its attached devices, or if it has its own power it wont draw.

For instance at my office we have a POE++ unifi switch that powers our unifi door lock system which gives power to a keypad screen on both sides of a door as well as the magnetic lock and all communication all over a single cat6. Can even add a camera to it. We then have the switch power a 5 port switch which gives POE power to a few phones.

Its very normal for cars to have dozens of ECU devices now and likely they have a fully redundant POE++ switch that sends power to a few dozen of these modules all over cat6 using standard ethernet protocol which then also powers the devices. They could even have multiple cables for devices that need lots of power. All of this is under 60V so low voltage regulations and over cat6 ethernet which is 8 wires like 22gauge. This means not only are they saving tons using smaller wires for power and not needing fuses or anything but that everything is networked together and can have firmware updates.

I'm betting its a modified version of POE though as Starlink pushes power over all 8 wires instead of standard POE which only uses 4. The V2 motion dish uses up to 125W and I believe the flat HP dish uses 175. The new flat standard dish I just got uses like 150w and they switched it to a normal RJ45 end.

It makes sense to use LFP batteries since the main batteries are already temp controlled so they can just add this battery to the climate system and keep it warm in winter. Also makes more sense as LFP has much more stable voltage

That would be helpful up to maybe 30-45MPH then increase wind resistance would probably eat up that 20 miles increase in range.
probably, but great when sitting in a sunny work parking lot for 8-12 hours, not everyone gets to park in a parking structure. Aptera needs to put the PV under glass, a highly manufactured process, would be cool to finally see them in production.

Last edited:
But seriously, why is the a problem specific to EV’s? Or do the owners simply not maintain the 12v battery
Incorrect battery type used, added parasitic draw of vehicle systems, lack of driving allowing battery to charge.
which is usually the exact cause of dead/dying 12v batteries in petrol vehicles?
if the lights aren't left on, lack of driving/charging or calendar aging.

Although idk how they charge the 12v or anything
they have an onboard dc-dc charger (obviously)

Are the 12v batteries in EV’s still typically lead acid?
In the case of my FY22 MG ZS EV, it's the exact same battery used in the ICE version. Lead acid cranking battery. I'm not expecting it to die prematurely as my wife drives the car almost every day allowing the 12v battery to charge.

Last edited:
Back