diy solar

diy solar

Solar Pass Through Box

keeperofthecode

I'm building a house and will be foaming walls soon so I need to get my PV wires from inverter to outside of house but cannot run all the way to my arrays yet because we will be doing more dirt work outside. What would be a suitable pass through box I can mount outside house to run my 4 strings of 10awg solar from inverters to outside house and later join to outside ground mount array. Everything I find wants to combine the strings which I do not need. Should I just put an empty box out there and use mc4 connectors inside box to connect together when I finish the outside arrays?

Each string is VOC of 296.56V and 3,200 watts

Last edited:
I'm building a house and will be foaming walls soon so I need to get my PV wires from inverter to outside of house but cannot run all the way to my arrays yet because we will be doing more dirt work outside. What would be a suitable pass through box I can mount outside house to run my 4 strings of 10awg solar from inverters to outside house and later join to outside ground mount array. Everything I find wants to combine the strings which I do not need. Should I just put an empty box out there and use mc4 connectors inside box to connect together when I finish the outside arrays?
I'm using a midnite mnpv6 combiner box, it comes with a busbar if you want to combine the circuits but can use the mnepv breakers solo instead. They also have instructions for cutting the bus bar so you can have three strings each to a separate SCC, which is what I'm planning to do. However I'm not disconnecting the negatives with this setup.

Going to attach this to a stick in the ground, then bring in two strings of 6AWG from the Midnite box through to the inside of the house and to the charge controllers.

What voltage are you running? Could maybe do something like an mnpv12 where you could use their 300V series breakers (two 150V in series) remove the bridges and that would give you a disconnect rated for 150V.

20240227_122535.jpg

Are you doing inspections?

My indoor metal conduit will meet at an outdoor junction box like this on the exterior wall, and transition from there to PVC conduit. In this box the THHN will be spliced with Wagos, or more likely I'll just use this as a pull box and the THHN will be continuous from the SCC to a further away junction box outside.

That's just an example to think about. 5x 10 awg PV wire would be tight and MC4 connectors definitely won't fit in my plan.

Last edited:
The alternative would be a generic outdoor box like this but it would require making custom hole punches for the conduit entry.

Back