diy solar

diy solar

Solar System Design with Panels Remotely Mounted

Floridajoe123

I am doing a 10K system, 80V 425 Watt Panels. The panels are remotely mounted 200 feet away from the main breaker panel on a dock. Currently the dock has 60AMP service at 230V. There is only one set of wires run underground. It may be possible to run two sets, but they both must be AC or DC as they are in the same conduit. The dock needs AC power.

A simple option is a string inverter or microinverters and back feed the power up to the houses main. The draw back is the loss of power during a power outage.

A hybrid system looks great, however the wiring constraints (with my knowledge) become an issue. I have already thought of pushing DC power to the house to a hybrid inverter and putting a secondary inverter on the dock to handle the dock. However with an increase in cost of 6 to 9K it would be more cost effective to design a separate power back up system.

One more item - Next to the Home main panel and meter in a boat is an offgrid system with a 25KW battery, currently using a Victron Multi. Can this back feed the dock and trick a common residential system into thinking the grid is up? If so is there a grid isolator that will automatically disconnect the home from the grid in a power failure? The home has a 15KW Generac Generator (which i want to do away with) and is wired with a transfer switch that automatically isolates the generator circuits from the grid and runs the generator.

If you can't run another conduit for the DC, you are kinda stuck. Feeding large AC-coupled systems into small off-grid (when power fails) systems really doesn't work. Any chance you can put the panels on the house or ground-mount near(er) the house main panel?

If you can't run another conduit for the DC, you are kinda stuck. Feeding large AC-coupled systems into small off-grid (when power fails) systems really doesn't work. Any chance you can put the panels on the house or ground-mount near(er) the house main panel?
I built the dock and ran the electric 16 years ago, when I ran the electric I put an extra empty 2 inch electrical run! What I'm looking at doing is running the panels in series of 6 running 420-450 vdc up to a EG4 PKV18000

I built the dock and ran the electric 16 years ago, when I ran the electric I put an extra empty 2 inch electrical run! What I'm looking at doing is running the panels in series of 6 running 420-450 vdc up to a EG4 PKV18000
I love it when passed me does me a giant favor like that!

Back