diy solar

diy solar

Solar tool trailer

dbattry

Looking for suggestions on a solar powered tool trailer. Park it at a location with no power and leave it there for months mostly to charge Dewalt batteries but also run other tools IF i can without overloading the setup. I would like to here from folks that did similar builds. What works what doesn't. What I need to run is this
4 battery dewalt charger
small job site table saw
chop saw
small air compressor
maybe a small fridge.
The saws would not be on simultaneously, the air compressor occasionally.
I was set on using Schneider 4048 inverter with the Schneider 60 amp charger but have been hearing/ reading negative stories of issues with the inverter burning out
installers not using them because customers keep calling back with issues. system complexity etc... so I maybe need to rethink my options.
planned system components:
schneinder sw 40/48 or victron multiplus 2 48v 3kva or Samlex evo 4200w 48 volt. these are all low power consumption at no load. Seems like 48volt is the most economical and would be easier and cheaper to expand if need be.
pv controler: the schneider or midnight solar classic 150
batteries: would be signiture solar lifepower or eg4-ll 48v
solar panels: maybe 3 300 watt total 900watts . 300watt dimensions 26 x 60ish would work good on the trailer and wouldn't be to tall if they needed to be angled.

I'm open for suggestions. How has the Schneider been holding up. I do like that the inverter ,charger, batteries can easily be connected to one screen on your phone. Maybe not that important. Victron can't go wrong but might be undersized, not as easy to connect battery ,not quite as much surge capacity. Samlex very robust very positive feed back but no connectivity as I can see.

Where to get the solar panels? Alte store, signature solar? shipping eats you up. Don't really trust Ebay or Amazon panels. Is there a supplier closer to the upper Midwest, central South Dakota?
buget in the neighborhood of $4000

I use two 100ah 12v batteries, a 3K inverter, a 40 amp mppt and 400 watts solar.

Looking for suggestions on a solar powered tool trailer. Park it at a location with no power and leave it there for months mostly to charge Dewalt batteries but also run other tools IF i can without overloading the setup. I would like to here from folks that did similar builds. What works what doesn't. What I need to run is this
4 battery dewalt charger
small job site table saw
chop saw
small air compressor
maybe a small fridge.
I was set on using Schneider 4048 inverter with the Schneider 60 amp charger but have been hearing/ reading negative stories of issues with the inverter burning out
installers not using them because customers keep calling back with issues. system complexity etc... so I maybe need to rethink my options.
schneinder sw 40/48 or victron multiplus 2 48v 3kva or Samlex evo 4200w 48 volt. these are all low power consumption at no load. Seems like 48volt is the most economical and would be easier and cheaper to expand if need be.
solar panels: maybe 3 300 watt total 900watts . 300watt dimensions 26 x 60ish would work good on the trailer and wouldn't be to tall if they needed to be angled.

I'm open for suggestions. How has the Schneider been holding up. I do like that the inverter ,charger, batteries can easily be connected to one screen on your phone. Maybe not that important. Victron can't go wrong but might be undersized, not as easy to connect battery ,not quite as much surge capacity. Samlex very robust very positive feed back but no connectivity as I can see.

Where to get the solar panels? Alte store, signature solar? shipping eats you up. Don't really trust Ebay or Amazon panels. Is there a supplier closer to the upper Midwest, central South Dakota?
I know a guy who sells solar equipment in Minnesota. But he’s probably at least 7 hours from Central South Dakota.

My RV trailer isn't a contractor trailer but I've run a few tools off of the system. Bosch router, Dewalt chop saw. Not my air compressor, but only because I haven't tried it yet. I do run the air conditioner off of the inverter and it could very well be more amps than most of your tools would be. I use a Victron Multiplus 12/3000 with two 280Ah LiFePO4 batteries.

My panels came from a local office of greentechrenewables.com. But the closest location to you is Omaha.

My RV trailer isn't a contractor trailer but I've run a few tools off of the system. Bosch router, Dewalt chop saw. Not my air compressor, but only because I haven't tried it yet. I do run the air conditioner off of the inverter and it could very well be more amps than most of your tools would be. I use a Victron Multiplus 12/3000 with two 280Ah LiFePO4 batteries.

My panels came from a local office of greentechrenewables.com. But the closest location to you is Omaha.
Do you think the multiplus 12/2000 would run the chop saw? On paper it should as max watts is 1800w

4 battery dewalt charger
small job site table saw
chop saw
small air compressor
maybe a small fridge.

I searched pierre sd craigslist for solar panel and found only one listing
Screenshot_20240506_065126_Chrome.jpg

The spec sheet shows 3500W as peak power. Thought that may be the surge?

Victron is good stuff, but I don't know if that peak is high enough. I never checked what the peak was with my chop saw. If it the surge is too high, the inverter should just shut down.

Back