diy solar

diy solar

SolArk15k vs Eg4 18k

Tiger Tom

Im about to stir up some s**t on this and I am not bashing Signature Solar. They supply great products

I was about to pull the trigger on 2 SolArk 15k and I see Eg4 18k about to launch in 2 weeks. Signature Solar does put out a good product at a good price.
I am a contractor and able to purchase 2 SolArks at contractor price $14900 and priced out 2 18ks at $10,600 with Military Discount. A big price difference at $4300 which pays for the solar racking.
I’ve looked at SolArk, Signature Solar and Sandi (high voltage out of China)

SANDI
Make a great inverter. But have decided not to buy from China as there is no immediate support via mfr or community support via forums.

SOLARK
Yes expensive and I can buy 2 Deye 16ks for the price of one SolArk15k. BUT SolArk has excellent sales, technical help and help via Facebook and DIY Solar Forums. But they don’t have their optimizers ready for sale for a more integrated system.

EG4 18K
New product and more powerful than the SolArk 15Ks. Also the Tigo rapid shut down optimizers integrate into Signature Solars online monitoring platform(supposed to).
BUT my biggest concern is YouTube videos with Will Prowse testing of the new Eg4 8ks
plus I think another other off brand similar unit. But this is regarding the 8k. The two or three 8ks have had issues. I don’t want issues to work thru. I’m sure he pisses off some mfrs with his public feedback but they know he is honest and shows the defects in the products he evaluates.
I used to work for an appliance manufacture and when we sent out samples for customers to test we made sure they were perfect. Especially the ones that went to Consumer Reports, United Laboratories or ETL.
Now say that a manufacture says we don’t cherry pick or make sure a product is perfect when sending out to be tested or evaluated. If Will Prowse got 3 random units that had issues just think of the odds in that…. What are the chances/odds of Will getting 2 or three units that have issues or of the inventory they had.
Let’s define issues…. I’m not talking out calling tech support to fine tune settings and setting up. That is normal. But when throwing faults and no fault of the installation. I think Will knows how to set up an inverter or two.
Would like feedback from Signature Solar on this. How long have they been testing the 18k before it’s launch.
If I purchase will they ship me a new unit to replace a problematic unit that has no issues with installation. I then will ship back the other unit.
Looking forward to the feedback from other Solar DIYers.

You'll simply need to wait until someone reviews it. You can't really compare something that has been out for a while with real world usage to something that hasn't been released yet even if it appears to be a rebrand lux power system. We have no idea what changes there may be. I also wouldn't use the 8k as a comparison since they admit that was a mess because of manufacturer changing components without signature solar's knowledge. I don't believe the 18kPV is same manufacturer as the 8k which Will did not recommend.

I am not sure where you got the info on the E4 18K being more powerful that the SolArk 15K but I guess it's what started the argument in the other thread. The EG4-18K is a 12KW Inverter. The Sol-Ark 15K is a 15KW Inverter.

If you just want electricity without any issues then you know which one to buy.
If you wan't to try out a new Inverter and deal with the teething issues etc to save some $$ then you have your other options.

Last edited:
After FTC the EG4s will cost you $7420.00 the Sol Arks $10,400. So $3000.00 difference. So you’re getting 6k additional inverter capacity as well as the other benefits with the Sol Ark vs the EG4. Your choice.

more powerful than the SolArk 15Ks
On paper, the 18pv looks a little better than the Solark. I really like the fact that its MPPTs will accept up to 600 volts, which allows longer strings and smaller conductor. To me, the output differences are a wash; Solark has a 3 KW advantage in AC from PV, but the 18pv has a 3 KW advantage in total power delivered to AC and batteries. Both units have identical 12 KW in AC from batteries only, and both have the very nice feature of a 200A pass through.

The main difference (other than price) is that Solark is a mature platform with the bugs mostly worked out. It has an excellent manual and top flight support. The Luxpower is newer and seems to have some rough edges to smooth out. The manual is abysmal (although EG4 has cleaned it up a little). Support for the Luxpower/EG4 is, … um, … unproven.

Is $2,000 per unit worth the difference between a solid and proven platform with excellent support, versus a newer and buggier product with less than stellar support?

Edit to add: I know nothing about this, but I have the impression that Solark is very much involved in refining the firmware on Deye-SolArk inverters. Not sure how much involvement, if any, EG4 has with the Luxpower product. Maybe @robby can weigh in on this.

Last edited:
On paper, the 18pv looks a little better than the Solark. I really like the fact that its MPPTs will accept up to 600 volts, which allows longer strings and smaller conductor. To me, the output differences are a wash; Solark has a 3 KW advantage in AC from PV, but the 18pv has a 3 KW advantage in total power delivered to AC and batteries. Both units have identical 12 KW in AC from batteries only, and both have the very nice feature of a 200A pass through.

The main difference (other than price) is that Solark is a mature platform with the bugs mostly worked out. It has an excellent manual and top flight support. The Luxpower is newer and seems to have some rough edges to smooth out. The manual is abysmal (although EG4 has cleaned it up a little). Support for the Luxpower/EG4 is, … um, … unproven.

Is $2,000 per unit worth the difference between a solid and proven platform with excellent support, versus a newer and buggier product with less than stellar support?
Agree
As

$1500 different per unit after FTC actually.

Agree as SolArk has a solid but expensive reputation. Surprised that Signature Solar doesn’t do quality checks before taking delivery.
I buy refrigeration equipment from China and have been screwed by factories even though the specs of the equipment is on the contract. I now hire an engineering company to inspect my equipment before my final 50 to 60 percent balance. But products from China have a minimum 29% tax which lowers margins. I am now looking at Vietnam and Mexico to import equipment.

It really boils down to your time frame.
If you're not in a hurry, wait and see how the 18 rolls out. If you really need a split-phase unit right now. Then I probably wouldn't take the chance on being a beta tester.
I really don't like the marketing on either one.
One is named a 15k. The other is named an 18k.
And both can only deliver 12k, from the battery.

It really boils down to your time frame.
If you're not in a hurry, wait and see how the 18 rolls out. If you really need a split-phase unit right now. Then I probably wouldn't take the chance on being a beta tester.
I really don't like the marketing on either one.
One is named a 15k. The other is named an 18k.
And both can only deliver 12k, from the battery.
You’re right @timselectric but I will say our 15k has been relatively trouble free since installation. To see all the issues others are having with other brands it’s refreshing to plan and implement the installation and have it work as planned. So in hindsight I completely understand your opinion but it functions so well I just can’t knock it no matter what they call it.

You’re right @timselectric but I will say our 15k has been relatively trouble free since installation. To see all the issues others are having with other brands it’s refreshing to plan and implement the installation and have it work as planned. So in hindsight I completely understand your opinion but it functions so well I just can’t knock it no matter what they call it.
It is a big plus, to install a system that just works.
I have also been up and running trouble free, for over a year.
I'm not completely against being a beta tester. But when there's a lot of my money on the line. I am less inclined.

Edit to add: I know nothing about this, but I have the impression that Solark is very much involved in refining the firmware on Deye-SolArk inverters. Not sure how much involvement, if any, EG4 has with the Luxpower product. Maybe @robby can weigh in on this.
Is the sol-ark actually limited to 15kW DC solar? I thought it was 18-19kW.

Is the sol-ark actually limited to 15kW DC solar? I thought it was 18-19kW.
Idk. The spec sheet is a little ambiguous. It says a max of 19.5 kw is “allowed,” but then very clearly says “Max PV Power Delivered to Battery & AC Outputs” is 15 kw. See attached.

I forgot who said it or which thread, but awhile back someone posted that Solark was perhaps in the process of amending (raising) that 15k limit.

Attachments

• IMG_5596.jpeg
    IMG_5596.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 23

The main difference (other than price) is that Solark is a mature platform with the bugs mostly worked out. It has an excellent manual and to

Sol-Ark has always made the firmware but they have stopped sharing updates with Deye for over a year now.
each company now does its own firmware.
I was told the Luxpower firmware was mostly done by Fortress Power. They have a few videos on the inverter that you can check out.

Idk. The spec sheet is a little ambiguous. It says a max of 19.5 kw is “allowed,” but then very clearly says “Max PV Power Delivered to Battery & AC Outputs” is 15 kw. See attached.

I forgot who said it or which thread, but awhile back someone posted that Solark was perhaps in the process of amending (raising) that 15k limit.
One or two members here have posted going over the limit, and I spoke to tech-support at Sol-Ark about that. They said it is possible, but not recommended. The analogy was running your car engine RPM close to red line. It is hard on the inverter to push it like that.

Im about to stir up some s**t on this and I am not bashing Signature Solar. They supply great products

I was about to pull the trigger on 2 SolArk 15k and I see Eg4 18k about to launch in 2 weeks. Signature Solar does put out a good product at a good price.
I am a contractor and able to purchase 2 SolArks at contractor price $14900 and priced out 2 18ks at $10,600 with Military Discount. A big price difference at $4300 which pays for the solar racking.

SANDI
Make a great inverter. But have decided not to buy from China as there is no immediate support via mfr or community support via forums.

SOLARK
Yes expensive and I can buy 2 Deye 16ks for the price of one SolArk15k. BUT SolArk has excellent sales, technical help and help via Facebook and DIY Solar Forums. But they don’t have their optimizers ready for sale for a more integrated system.

EG4 18K
New product and more powerful than the SolArk 15Ks. Also the Tigo rapid shut down optimizers integrate into Signature Solars online monitoring platform(supposed to).
BUT my biggest concern is YouTube videos with Will Prowse testing of the new Eg4 8ks
plus I think another other off brand similar unit. But this is regarding the 8k. The two or three 8ks have had issues. I don’t want issues to work thru. I’m sure he pisses off some mfrs with his public feedback but they know he is honest and shows the defects in the products he evaluates.
I used to work for an appliance manufacture and when we sent out samples for customers to test we made sure they were perfect. Especially the ones that went to Consumer Reports, United Laboratories or ETL.
Now say that a manufacture says we don’t cherry pick or make sure a product is perfect when sending out to be tested or evaluated. If Will Prowse got 3 random units that had issues just think of the odds in that…. What are the chances/odds of Will getting 2 or three units that have issues or of the inventory they had.
Let’s define issues…. I’m not talking out calling tech support to fine tune settings and setting up. That is normal. But when throwing faults and no fault of the installation. I think Will knows how to set up an inverter or two.
Would like feedback from Signature Solar on this. How long have they been testing the 18k before it’s launch.
If I purchase will they ship me a new unit to replace a problematic unit that has no issues with installation. I then will ship back the other unit.
The unit has been in R&D for a while now. We've worked through several upgrades since the original unit. R&D started with the unit last year and have had Lux expand the wire box and make some breaker changes. I understand the concerns after the 8K video, however, we're talking about different units from different manufacturers. This unit has also undergone a great deal more testing. This will be far and away the best inverter that Signature Solar has released to date. Don't just take my word for it though, I'm pretty sure we might be seeing a review video on a popular YouTube channel sooner than later.

Sol-Ark has always made the firmware but they have stopped sharing updates with Deye for over a year now.
each company now does its own firmware.
I was told the Luxpower firmware was mostly done by Fortress Power. They have a few videos on the inverter that you can check out.
fortress claims at their booths that they don't know who Luxpower is; hopefully, this is insight into the honesty of their sourcing statements. Lux is in charge of code. Fortress couldn't even make sure the 200A ac breaker was interlocked per NEC before their webinar launch (google it).

Last edited:

SANDI

SOLARK

EG4 18K
we asked Will to close loop batteries. he didn't want to on either of the 2 units we sent him. I get that he hasn't been into closed loop before but the thing is that firmware regression is not actively being tested against open loop systems. hence why the issue and then botched firmware update occurred in the first place.

Over the air updates are being tested for the 8k, as well as more clarifying language insisting in closed-loop operation, this is about more than firmware, the BMS and Inverter fight each other in open loop, manageable but potentially degrading to lifespan and reliability

Back