diy solar

diy solar

Solis S5-EH1P6K-L no grid detected

It is possible to have more than m=one mode enabled at the same time, which confuses the inverter. Go through each of the modes making sure they are all set to Off/Disabled, leaving just Self Use enabled.
...This was indeed the answer to both the 80% cap, and the not discharging conundrum

(y) well observed @rpdom. But why, why do Solis permit more than one mode to be selected? :unsure:

(y) well observed @rpdom. But why, why do Solis permit more than one mode to be selected? :unsure:
I have no idea. The modes set different bits in the same Modbus register. So each can be set at the same time. It does seem silly that setting one mode doesn't clear the others though.

The modes are not always intuitive and have somewhat secret dependences and there are only two true "modes" Self-Mode and Feed-in-priority
Backup isn't a mode, its a SOC feature, and Off-Grid is just a way for one to tell the inverter not to try and sell energy, but just like zero export, the software can't instantaneously adjust to load changes, hence why the warming not to connect to grid in off-grid mode.

• So here is what Solis USA Service what written about this.

• Attached was something I wrote for myself, as I was like most not understanding what the "modes" were. Disclaimer, no warranties and use this information at your own risk. This was before Solis posted the above.

• Here is my observational based summary:
Self-use the priority is on home loads, then export solar. Backup port and main panel ( CU for UK viewers ) are the home load's as is the battery if attached.

Feed-in-priority is the reverse, typically used if one has time of use cases for getting more value for exported energy

Backup, IS Self-use, but has its own SOC threshold for force charging the battery, for example if you set to 95%, it will force charge the battery back to 100% and cycle between when battery SOC drops to 95% SOC

Self-use will only sell if TOU window is active
Self-use won't sell if the Backup SOC hasn't been triggered even if the time window is active to sell

Attachments

• RHI-HV Series - Henry Cutler Author.pdf
    359 KB · Views: 4
That's great and thanks for the clarification.

Not sure what is more worrying though; is it...

a) the obscure operation of the Solis modes or
b) the fact that, when I came to save your attachment, I found I already had a copy I'd saved in August 2022 and forgotten about! :(

So, from one conundrum to another - why on earth, with the settings in these screenshots, Self use only (all other modes explicitly set to Off), would the battery be charging at ~1150 today?

Attachments

• PXL_20240119_114917355.jpg
    PXL_20240119_114917355.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20240119_114923117.jpg
    PXL_20240119_114923117.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20240119_115003295.jpg
    PXL_20240119_115003295.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 9
Your battery is at 29%. Have you got any of the SOC settings set for 30%? I'm wondering if the battery charge level has hit a lower limit, so the inverter is putting a bit of charge in.

If you are going to use TOU, the times selected must equal 24 hours. if not the unit will run in default mode for the hours not specified, which will charge from grid at your specified SOC values. So make the remaining time of 4:30 to 00:30 discharge time and it will only charge in the 00:30 to 4:30 time window

So make the remaining time of 4:30 to 00:30 discharge time and it will only charge in the 00:30 to 4:30 time window
But if the remaining time is set to discharge time, the Solis will surely discharge the battery at the specified rate (including to grid if more than the house usage)? i.e. as mentioned in the troubleshooting section of this guide...

Your battery is at 29%. Have you got any of the SOC settings set for 30%? I'm wondering if the battery charge level has hit a lower limit, so the inverter is putting a bit of charge in.
Just to follow up on this, I cannot find any SoC at 30% anywhere...but this is still the behaviour I'm seeing.

I've even turned off "Charge from Grid", so it's not charging during the ToU Charge period (0030-0430), but then it's doing this bonkers ping-pong between 8% and 29%. X-axes of the charts don't match up, sorry, but both do contain the data for 1000 yesterday to 0930 todayBattery SoC.pngInverter battery behaviour.png

Is your CT clamp the right way round? That can make the inverter do weird things like think the load is surplus power to use for charging.

Do you have a big house load that is actually drawing that 5kW or so of power ? Or is it being dumped to the grid?

Do you have a big house load that is actually drawing that 5kW or so of power ? Or is it being dumped to the grid?
Sadly the load is that big (ASHP, 5 bed house with side elevations remaining to be insulated). Definitely not being dumped to grid

Is your CT clamp the right way round? That can make the inverter do weird things like think the load is surplus power to use for charging.
I'll double check again, but yes - I have an Emporia Vue 2 monitoring most of the circuits as well, and it all seems to match up

I'm wondering if the battery charge level has hit a lower limit, so the inverter is putting a bit of charge in.
I'm wondering the same as what @rpdom wondered ^^^^.

What are your ForceCharge SOC and OverDischarge SOC % set to?

The OverDischarge should be set to a higher value than the ForceCharge setting. e.g. 15% for OverDischarge and 10% or less for ForceCharge. That way, once the OverDischarge is reached (due to the big load), then the battery will stop powering the house load and only be used to power the inverter until you get some sun or planned overnight top up at cheap rate. The quiescent usage of the inverter (around 30W) will not result in the the ForceCharge SOC % being reached, so the Solis won't then charge from grid during the day.

OverDischarge is set to 8%
ForceCharge is 5%

CT clamp confirmed in correct orientation (on Line conductor, House -> Grid label pointing the correct direction)

Here's a screenshot of all the battery relevant parameters and modes (i.e. I've excluded PV, totals, phases B and C, etc.)
1706613738381.png

then it's doing this bonkers ping-pong between 8% and 29%
You say 8%, but the graph shows about 14% minimum before the solis charges from grid again?

Something is clearly not right - I don't have the solis cloud app, so unfamiliar with the format of your setting. What I don't follow is whey the meter current is 15.82A (which corresponds with active power of 3568W), but 'battery power' is only showing 15W and IIRC, you don't have PV input.

But, the puzzling one to me, and maybe, just maybe, is confusing the inverter is the OverCharge SOC is set to 0%. That should be set to 100%, or whatever maximum you charge to.

So, first I'd set the OverCharge SOC to 100%, reboot the inverter and see what happens.

Then, if that doesn't resolve the issue, I'd try changing some of the other SOC % settings to see if any have an effect on the inverter's behaviour.

You say 8%, but the graph shows about 14% minimum before the solis charges from grid again?

Something is clearly not right - I don't have the solis cloud app, so unfamiliar with the format of your setting. What I don't follow is whey the meter current is 15.82A (which corresponds with active power of 3568W), but 'battery power' is only showing 15W and IIRC, you don't have PV input.

But, the puzzling one to me, and maybe, just maybe, is confusing the inverter is the OverCharge SOC is set to 0%. That should be set to 100%, or whatever maximum you charge to.

So, first I'd set the OverCharge SOC to 100%, reboot the inverter and see what happens.

Then, if that doesn't resolve the issue, I'd try changing some of the other SOC % settings to see if any have an effect on the inverter's behaviour.
I do say 8%, and you're right, it is 14% minimum - hadn't caught that myself. I should look before speaking!

Meter current/power is showing the Grid to Load draw, with inverter/battery taken out of the mix - hence ~4kW load on grid, but battery only powering inverter. If I bring the inverter into the mix, the Meter Current will drop to 0A, and Battery Power will go up to 5500W or so if discharging. If charging, I see Meter current at approx 35A, and battery power at -5500W

OverCharge is set to 100% (just confirmed); it's just clipped in that screenshot.

Screenshots by the way are from Home Assistant running the Solis Modbus custom integration - breaks Solis Cloud, but keeps all my data local and lets me change settings via ModBus from my desktop rather than running down to the cellar all the time.

I might just do a factory reset and go again from the very beginning, and see what that does.

The only part I'm pondering is around BMS and Inverter protocols. BMS is set to Pylon "inverter protocol", and Battery Type on inverter is set to PylonLV. Anything else spits out a Battery Name error. I've emailed Fogstar for their input, but just wondered if that could be a source of error here.

I might just do a factory reset and go again from the very beginning, and see what that does.
I'd go for that if it were me.

The only part I'm pondering is around BMS and Inverter protocols. BMS is set to Pylon "inverter protocol", and Battery Type on inverter is set to PylonLV. Anything else spits out a Battery Name error. I've emailed Fogstar for their input, but just wondered if that could be a source of error here.
Those are the correct settings - if BMS protocol is not set correctly, you will see a CAN-fail message on the front screen and the battery won't be usable (unless you set the Solis to lead-acid, which I don't recommend).

Back