diy solar

diy solar

Some pointers for newbie would be helpful.

No - most panels are not 12v. Mine are 37.07voc. The Canadian ones are 36.4voc.
I built my own ground mount….
Thank you. I wasn’t aware they were 30+v . That will make it much easier to reach higher voltage to travel further using DC voltage.

If you are referring to the Original Poster, he did mention he was thinking about 390 Watt panels. Most 250-400 Watt panels have a VOC of 30 volts or more.
I had no idea the VOC was 30+ volts… thank you I’m going to keep gathering data and fine tuning my design until it makes sense

In that case, you need to pay attention to Voc of panels and max PV input voltage of inverter.
Your calculated Voc for the series string is at nominal 25 degrees C, but goes higher in cold weather.
You can assume up to 16% increase, so multiply Voc x 1.16 and ensure that remains under max allowed.
If that is a bit over, you can calculate using "Temperature coefficient of Voc" from PV panel data sheet, and historical record coldest temperature for your location.

Very important to never exceed max PV voltage rating at all; likely to cause failure, or at the very least be recorded by the equipment and warranty is void.

In that case, you need to pay attention to Voc of panels and max PV input voltage of inverter.
Your calculated Voc for the series string is at nominal 25 degrees C, but goes higher in cold weather.
You can assume up to 16% increase, so multiply Voc x 1.16 and ensure that remains under max allowed.
If that is a bit over, you can calculate using "Temperature coefficient of Voc" from PV panel data sheet, and historical record coldest temperature for your location.

Very important to never exceed max PV voltage rating at all; likely to cause failure, or at the very least be recorded by the equipment and warranty is void.
Very good information. I will make sure to never exceed.

Thank you for the reply. Ground arrays are a possibility. Do you know of any good mounts for 20+ panels?
I used Iron Ridge rails mounted on a welded drill pipe frame.
They are not cheap, but they are a very good racking system.

DSC09160.JPG

DSC09316.JPG
You can also buy parts to make a bolt-together rack if you don't weld.

Back