diy solar

diy solar

Sumry HGX-4KW

michvhf

I recently got the last available Sumry 4KW AIO that was listed on ebay. I have it installed and it seems to be working ok so far. It's only been in service for a couple of days so that may or may not change.

While I still have yet to figure out the manufacturer of it, there's a 120 volt version (this one) and a 230 volt version. PowMR also has the 230 volt version. The WiFi module (optional) that PowMR has for it claims to only work on these models. Searching the part number of the WiFi module also brings up an MPP VX model but I found zero listings for that one on the MPP site - or anywhere else. Someone suggested looking at the board behind the connection panel, all that's on the board there is BAT + and BAT -. So that's no help. Neither the MPP WatchPower or SolarPower software will talk to it. Further testing said it doesn't speak the QPIGS or the P18 protocols. More on that in a bit...

Installation was straight forward, the configuration in the manual looks the same as many other inverters. Most of the configuration was the same as my Vevor 2.4kw AIO with minor tweeks. Don't ask what the tweeks are, I'm still working on optimizing that. My main reason for installing solar wasn't for the whole house, mainly it's for my shop. Between a number of servers (I do web hosting), the electronic test bench and a few other things, the monthly electric bill has been just under $400/mo. I'm hoping to bring that down and early estimates are that this will.

Being a ham operator, RF noise is important to me on HF. The Vevor was quite good in that respect, this one has a little more noise with a couple of weak traveling carriers on 80M, but tolerable. The noise from it is quite low on 160M, 60M and 40M as well. I had a stand alone inverter that wiped out all of HF, I sent that back!

The listing claimed silent fans. They're not bad but definitely not silent by any stretch of the imagination, but they don't run that often (I also am not currently drawing a lot). The listing also said it was 4000 watts. The label says 4000 watts and 4000 VA. So which is it? I'll hopefully remember to include a pic of the label below. I'm currently using 2 - 24V 100AH LiFePO4 (NewtiPower from amazon) batteries and 8 - 100 watt EcoWorthy panels (4S2P) on an EcoWorthy Dual Axis tracker.

The comm port on it is an RJ45 that has both RS232 and RS485. The manual doesn't give the pinout but the seller sent that to me. I hooked up an RS485 to USB adapter to it and immediately was getting data. Worthless data, but still data. The RS232 part took longer to figure out. Eventually I found a github posting from a guy named LEO, I think from Ukraine that was a partial reverse engineering of the protocol. As I mentioned above, it does not use QPIGS or P18, nor does the modbus library get anything out of it. This was a sting of numbers and it spits out a string of data. There is still more info I'd like to get out of it but for now I'm getting all the important stuff. Battery voltage, loads, PV, charging/discharging and grid current.

Here's a pic of the label. I tried to get a pic of the front panel but it's really shiny and the pic showed more of the surroundings than the panel.

sumry-info.jpg

It does have some interesting specs for such a low cost AIO. Thanks for being willing to review it. Will be looking forward to any follow on you have about it.

Back