diy solar

diy solar

Sunny Boy / Generator interlock ac coupling

Ai4px

Solar Enthusiast
I'm using sunny boys AC coupled to my Sunny Island and want to feed in from a generator also. My generator is an onan RS12000 that has a microprocessor based speed control so it does not idle up to 62hz. This presents a problem that the sunny boys may backfeed the generator. I need an interlock to make sure that if the SB's are running, the generator cannot run or cannot feed the house.

I have programmed the multifunction relays on the sunny boys to indicate grid connect or not. I'll wire them up so that the DIG IN signal on my sunny island is run thru those relays. This will prevent the generator from starting if the sunny boys are making power. But this does not solve the issue if the generator were to be started manually.

Another way would be to use those multifunction relays to interlock the 240v generator output relay so that even if the generator starts and runs (manually??) it cannot connect to the house grid. I already have a 50amp relay inline with the generator output that will switch on/off based on the gen start signal. Adding the MFR's to this logic is easy.

Just food for thought for people doing AC coupling. Side note: if your generator has a mechanical idle control, make sure it idles at 62hz 3720RPM. 62hz will cause any AC coupled inverters to go offline or curtail production to 0watts.

Back