diy solar

diy solar

Tesla CyberFlop

Alkaline

Solar Wizard
If EVs really want to take off they better stop with these BS ranges:

Stated range of 340; Actually Tested Range: 254 and you risk damaging your battery so actual real world more like 220 miles if you stop driving at around 20% left.

220 miles not towing. This is a cyber flop. Basically if you tow anything all you will get is 100 miles, terrible.

I had such high hopes for this thing, looks I'll be holding on to my dodge.

Ohh and now they want 80K + 20K for this thing. If I had to get a truck and it had to be EV than a used Rivian would be the only choice as it actually gets the 300 mile range it claims or very close to it:

Also I know people will say OHH thats highway, well guess what that is the only time where range is even an issue, if you are not driving on a highway then why would the range even matter.

Completely agree.
EV trucks are no where near ready for real world use, yet.
Real truck people need real trucks. That can actually do what trucks are supposed to do.
What's currently available isn't for us. It's for car people who want a higher view of the road.

IMO EV trucks still have their use, assuming they are reliable. Contractors/subs working in a metro area may be able to get away with the range. I am not sure about stated range on the Cybertruck, but all electric vehicles range is going to vary on conditions/driver much more than a gas powered vehicle. Slowpoking it on the freeway makes an unbelievable difference on my electric car compared to my gas car (65mph vs 75mph). Maybe 5% difference in my gas car, and maybe 25% difference in the electric car.

Also I know people will say OHH thats highway, well guess what that is the only time where range is even an issue, if you are not driving on a highway then why would the range even matter.
If you live in an area with few highways like northern New England. I rarely drive on highways. The few highways we have mostly run North & South so you better not want to drive East and West. I still would have little use for an EV due to the cold weather, the cost, lack of charging, lack of range etc

Not to worry plenty of reports say the CT is also much slower at charging than advertised. Any search will find the info.

EV's have their place. I have had one for three years, and had the most recent one for about four months now. Never charged anywhere but home. Love the fact that I have a full tank every time I pull out of the driveway. I have found range to be about the stated 270 miles if I drive like a pussy, which I do all the time anyway. Doesn't seem to really matter much if it's winter or not. My wife tried to take it to it on a 250 mile round trip drive though, and she did not even come CLOSE to making it, and charged at her friends house overnight (she was visiting). She drives like a maniac and I bet she maybe gets 190-210 miles out of the stated 270.

EV's have their place. I have had one for three years, and had the most recent one for about four months now. Never charged anywhere but home. Love the fact that I have a full tank every time I pull out of the driveway. I have found range to be about the stated 270 miles if I drive like a pussy, which I do all the time anyway. Doesn't seem to really matter much if it's winter or not. My wife tried to take it to it on a 250 mile round trip drive though, and she did not even come CLOSE to making it, and charged at her friends house overnight (she was visiting). She drives like a maniac and I bet she maybe gets 190-210 miles out of the stated 270.
Just curious what winter temperatures are like where you are? Here we average a little above 0F at night this time of year. Well below 0F is common and sometimes it is -30sF.

Electric vehicles are fine, it's just the "push" that's annoying.

I very much like plug-in hybrids but then you're basically making a car with two powertrains and costs go up up up.

Full Electric like Amazon's delivery vans work good because the vehicle is operated in such a way that it recovers energy in a stop/go environment and not having to shut down an engine at each stop.

EV's worst operating environment is steady-state cruise at interstate speeds where all the electricity is going towards wind resistance.

Ev's work for some people, but not all and not all the time.

I drive 60 to 90 miles per day, my wife drives about 30 miles per day. We charge at home most of the time. Before going off grid I was getting power at night at $.06 a kwh. At about $3 gas I think it is over 200mpg equivalent. But now long trips add cost and time, not as convenient. But the cars I have all charge for free for life on the Tesla Supercharger network, so now it is a time issue, but not a dollar issue, actually a big dollar plus!

And now with solar, my everyday usage is also free. I have been driving electric for 7 years now, it is not about saving the planet to me, it is purely economics and a fast car to me.

The "right" answer given technology available today is a diesel (or gas, but diesel would be much more efficient) electric hybrid. Especially for heavy trucks (F250+/2500+), batteries aren't even in the zip code yet, we'd need 500-1000KWH in an electric truck to even have a chance of it working for our application (towing an RV). That's not going to happen for a long, long time.

And that is why Chrysler is using a V6 on the Ramcharger instead of a dinky 4 cylinder,, so it can do max trailer tow continuously.
Yep.

The 2025 Ramcharger is the first EV truck that actually has my interest/attention.
Obviously, the claims they are making are impressive. I'd like to see the reality. But, IMO I think series hybrid are the most logical choice for trucks at the moment. 100% electirc drivetrain. v6 engine with 27g fuel tank with 130kw generator.

If you think about it, this is very similar to how diesel electric trains have worked for decades.

The current claims are:
140 miles of "electric only" driving.
690 miles range with a full battery and full fuel tank.
Ability to just stop for fuel like a normal car. No need to recharge during road trips.

2600 lbs payload capacity
14,000 towing capacity.

If the claims are anywhere near reality (and the price isn't insane), this is the first "EV" I'm really considering.
During normal use, I'd probably only have 3 or 5 gallons of fuel in it. my daily drive would be able to use battery only.
Fill up before longer drives/road trips/towing.

Add on the fact that I'm in hurricane-land.. and it has an onboard 7kw inverter that I could plug into a generator inlet on my inverter.. allowing me to charge my home batteries during bad weather.. and then drive 30-60 miles to recharge and do it again.. sounds like an additional "nice to have"

Last edited:
Back