diy solar

diy solar

Thermostatically controlled propane heater for battery box

mvonw

Solar Addict
My off grid cabin has a 1000 gallon propane tank (buried) that I fill up in the fall to use during the winter. I don't heat it when I'm not there, but I would like to use it to heat a planned battery box. My first concern is always safety. I plan on eventually setting up a 48volt system with an array of 12 cells, so I'd need a reasonable size box. I'd like to insulate it and heat it with a small, thermostatically controlled propane heater.

Does anyone have any experience or practical ideas on this. I'm not super concerned about cost, I just want it safe and reliable...

You buried the propane tank, I'd consider doing the same for the battery box even if indoors (beneath floor or root cellar) Then plumb up a propane line to it & install a space heater in the space & just use the pilot to heat the battery space. Even that may prove a bit excessive due to the small space.

You buried the propane tank, I'd consider doing the same for the battery box even if indoors (beneath floor or root cellar) Then plumb up a propane line to it & install a space heater in the space & just use the pilot to heat the battery space. Even that may prove a bit excessive due to the small space.

If its buried deep enough no heating or cooling should be necessary.

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, I have considered burying the batteries, but the issue is the hassle to dig them up for service. I suppose I could dig a deeper hole (probably would need to lined with concrete, and then covered with insulation and a roof for snow, and that starts to get expensive. My place is in Northern NH at elevation, so it does get pretty cold, but not permafrost!!

I was just hoping for a very small (1000btu) thermostatically controlled propane heater, like a very small RV heater., but that probably doesn’t’ exist.....

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, I have considered burying the batteries, but the issue is the hassle to dig them up for service. I suppose I could dig a deeper hole (probably would need to lined with concrete, and then covered with insulation and a roof for snow, and that starts to get expensive. My place is in Northern NH at elevation, so it does get pretty cold, but not permafrost!!

I was just hoping for a very small (1000btu) thermostatically controlled propane heater, like a very small RV heater., but that probably doesn’t’ exist.....

You don't have to bury them.
Just need to put them in a hole and let the thermal mass of the earth keep them at a moderate temperature.

My off grid cabin has a 1000 gallon propane tank (buried) that I fill up in the fall to use during the winter. I don't heat it when I'm not there, but I would like to use it to heat a planned battery box. My first concern is always safety. I plan on eventually setting up a 48volt system with an array of 12 cells, so I'd need a reasonable size box. I'd like to insulate it and heat it with a small, thermostatically controlled propane heater.

Does anyone have any experience or practical ideas on this. I'm not super concerned about cost, I just want it safe and reliable...
You could use water circulated from a tank or tankless water heater to an insulated battery box with Pex. This is efficient and safe as it gets. If you also need the electronics room warmed let some heat out of the box lr run another radiant circuit.

I have a separate powerhouse which also doubles as my pump house with a 50gal pressure tank in there. All my solar gear, inverter & batteries are located within. I have to maintain temps in there as I am up north and -30 is not unusual around here, so you get a picture I'm sure. I got ahold of a Suburban NT-20S RV Furnace (direct vent) with electronic ignition, which of course uses LPG and only required 12VDC to operate. The whole thing, with thermostat, dual tank regulator cost me $300 and It was recovered from a lightly used 24' 2015 RV. I've provided it with it's own 12V GM that is connected to a 100W panel, I did add an additional 12V line from my battery bank via a step down converter as backup power in case it's needed. I wanted this to be independent from everything as a safety precaution. It is set to maintain 50F and works like a charm.

The Powerhouse is 14x6 and is hyper insulated with rigid foam and thermally broken walls and cool roof system. It is far from the average type of build, it even has a FPSF (Frost Protected Slab Foundation) with radiant pex in it (planned for solar radiant heating).

If you can isolate & insulate your "Power room" or Utility room as such and heat it with all the critical non-freezable's in there, it can be done quite reasonably and without a lot of shenanigans.

Hope this helps, good luck
Steve

REF:

What service would they require???

Typically, they would not require service, but bad batteries, cells, or other degredation occurs with any system.
I'm currently looking at building a special super insulated battery box and using one of these, or one of the other heated batteries:

The Powerhouse is 14x6 and is hyper insulated with rigid foam and thermally broken walls and cool roof system. It is far from the average type of build, it even has a FPSF (Frost Protected Slab Foundation) with radiant pex in it (planned for solar radiant heating).

Sounds similar to mine. I've also got the wood-fired boiler in there, so the room has no problem staying warm.

Oh, I think there is a market for prefabricated battery sheds....

but the issue is the hassle to dig them up for service. I suppose I could dig a deeper hole (probably would need to lined with concrete, and then covered with insulation and a roof for snow, and that starts to get expensive.

I would put them in a cheap cooler, whatever size fits your batteries and bury that. Cover the top with styrofoam.

Snow is a decent insulator so no roof needed IMHO.

Just a free idea that is worth twice that! :cool:

Back