diy solar

diy solar

Three phase off grid power

bobbybaz

I am building a three phase power supply with three Conversol single phase inverters, and a Pylontech US5000 Lithum battery at 48 volts. Can I charge the battery from a single phase supply, (230v 50Hz UK spec), connected to the AC input of just one inverter ?
The three phase option is working fine and has been tested.
If I apply grid power to L1 it will bypass the inverter and connect the output directly to the grid source.
My concern is that having set up the three inverters as a three phase unit there may be a problem if one phase is connected to the grid while the other two are still reliant on the battery.

I am building a three phase power supply with three Conversol single phase inverters
Usually the manual shows the wiring diagrams.

If you don't see it set up with single utility phase only supplying one of the three inverters, then I have to wonder how it would work. Most of the Voltronic-type inverter manuals I see with units which can operate a three phase system always show all three utility phases connected, never just one.

If I apply grid power to L1 it will bypass the inverter and connect the output directly to the grid source.
I think you'll find all three inverters must operate in the same mode, IOW if you switch to use Utility First mode, then all three inverters will be switched to Utility First.

My concern is that having set up the three inverters as a three phase unit there may be a problem if one phase is connected to the grid while the other two are still reliant on the battery.
I think you are right to be concerned. Check the user manual but I don't see it working.

If you want to be able to use a single phase grid supply as an output source, I would instead be either:
- connecting the source directly to the grid, which might be done via a transfer switch, or
- using a separate AC charger to supply charge to the battery and leave the inverters to operate in battery mode (SBU/SUB)

How about using something like the EG4 Chargeverter?
One unit will take single phase in and provide up to 100 amps of charge current.

If you had used three SMA Sunny Island inverters for your 3 phase project you could just have used the generator input to charge the batteries from a single utility grid phase. this is exactly what we have been doing for years....and it just works.

And...you could charge at 6kw/hr per Sunny Island..so a possible 18kw/hr

Back