diy solar

diy solar

True lies for lead acid battery ...

frankz66

Hello everyone, take away a curiosity if it's possible!

I understood to see videos about the regeneration of lead-acid batteries (no agm or gel), where diveris youtubers magically explain how to regenerate now depleted batteries with different practices. Many use to empty the acid of the batteries into a container, prepare a mixture of distilled water and baking soda, and then leave the battery in chemical boiling for about 24 hours. Given that this procedure is subject to the status of the lead cells . Then they filter the dirty acid with strainers for several times until a clean and transparent acid is obtained and then finally pour it into the battery, which is purified by chemical sulphates.

For my curiosity they are sorcerer's practices ..... or is there a fund of truth?

I imagine that this practice is only valid for the flooded iun how much they have to bring the acid to a boil in the parts of the lead plates in order to detach the impurities (and maybe even pieces lki lead plate ... )

It is not all about the quality of acid. Your lead plates break down over time and usage. Internal shorts occur and often can not be corrected without dismantling the plates, separators, cleaning and reinstalling to the case with fresh acid. Capacity suffers over new but it will work for awhile.

I think it depends on the failure mode. In some cases there may only be surface sulfation impairing the interaction of the plates with the electrolyte - presumably those cases could be fixed with a cleaning procedure.

In other cases the plates will be physically damaged to the point where they won't work or will have greatly reduced surface area - or warping breaking causing shorts.

So are these procedures valid and effective if the physical state of the plates after "washing" is intact?
Lead acid batteries are pretty simple. Two types of lead in a solution of sulfuric acid. If you provide that chemistry will provide voltage. However the notion that so many have of restoring a dead lead acid battery by cleaning it and supplying fresh acid often does not work out. Sorta like fixing an old worn tire with a plug to stop leakage does not make the tire new.

How about a desulfating charger that pulses voltage to slow down aging?
It has been argued whether pulse charging has any benefits. One rather exhaustive research paper is here: https://researchrepository.wvu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2226&context=etd

Pulse charging lead-acid batteries to improve performance and Pulse charging lead-acid batteries to improve performance and
reverse the effects of sulfation reverse the effects of sulfation
Robert B. Cooper West Virginia University

5.1 Conclusion on the Benefits of Pulse Charging
By examining the data that was presented in chapter 4 of this document, it was
concluded that a battery charged using the pulse technique and one charged using the
normal technique showed nearly identical changes in their discharge test characteristics.
While the pulse charging technique did not offer any additional advantages over the
normal charging technique, it also did not offer any disadvantages. Therefore, when
charging an Optima “Red Top” Model 800S Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) lead-acid
battery, it can be said that using the pulse charging technique developed for this research
was not better or no worse than using a standard charger...

It has been argued whether pulse charging has any benefits. One rather exhaustive research paper is here: https://researchrepository.wvu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2226&context=etd

Pulse charging lead-acid batteries to improve performance and Pulse charging lead-acid batteries to improve performance and
reverse the effects of sulfation reverse the effects of sulfation
Robert B. Cooper West Virginia University
Unclear from a quick scan if they tested FLA, or just AGM. Pulse chargers were developed for FLA. The free movement of the sulfur ions in FLA may make a difference.

I believe that pulse charging has effects on fla-type batteries, as it could break the oxides accumulated in the plates. For agm I don't think so because as far as I know the plates are separated by the absorbent sheets. The variable always remains that the residues would always be deposited at the bottom. Finally, as far as I have learned in two years of photovoltaics and batteries, it is likely that some users are right about comparing the regeneration of batteries similar to the attempt to regenerate in a worn tire ....

Back