diy solar

diy solar

Turning a cub cadet zero turn electric mower into a house battery/mower.

Crowz

Solar Wizard
This is more of a placeholder right now as I'm waiting on the Anderson connectors to get here this week to start this.

From what I can tell the project will take :

1. Anderson connector to plug into the mowers factory charge port : ordered

2. Wire to go from the Sungold tp6048 to the mower : check - Ive got 25 feet of 2 gauge welding cable

3. Upgrading the internal charge port cable that runs from the charge port to the batteries and its fuse.
(Current wire size unknown but I know it has a 20 amp fuse for the charge port and a 150 amp fuse for the rest of the mower)
(I may use some of the 2 gauge welding cable to upgrade this. Still will need a fuse of some kind.)
- Ordered

4. Breaker box and 100 amp dc breaker which will be mounted before the Sungold tp6048. - ordered

5. A Victron smart shunt since the solar assistant for the sungold unit running on a orange pi 3 lts is compatible with it and can keep up with the SOC on the mower.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Suggestions as to anything I'm not thinking of?

Last edited:
Need some input on what to use for a fuse/breaker on the mower as a replacement for the 20 amp fuse it has now on the charge port cable.

I'm going with 100 amps since the Anderson plug I'm using is rated at 110 amps. But what kind to use?

Glass fuse might get annoying since in theory even when everything is working right it could spike over the limit. Breakers would be preferred but I want reliable and easy to mount.

Ok scratch that is says its 240 volts AC and 60 volts DC. Didn't see the DC part when I loaded it the first time.

Anyways I cant use that on the mower itself.
Then your next best option is a fuse. If a breaker won't work for you.

The cheesy side flip one is what I ordered to go on the mower itself to replace the 20 amp fuse that's on the mower.

Basically it will have a breaker on each end of the cable. The slide flip thing at the mower and a traditional breaker at the inverter. Still think I should go with a glass fuse at the mower?

Back