diy solar

diy solar

Twisting wire to make a thicker wire.

Roop

If I have some thin wire and I want it to handle more current can I simply get three lengths, trim the sheath off at the ends and twist the bare wire together at the ends to 'make one thicker wire'??
Or doesn't it work that way?

If I have some thin wire and I want it to handle more current can I simply get three lengths, trim the sheath off at the ends and twist the bare wire together at the ends to 'make one thicker wire'??
Or doesn't it work that way?
Yes.

You'd really want to properly terminate the end of each wire to a ring terminal and just use them that way versus just twisting them together.

Ultimately you want to always choose the right size wire when you can though.

You had me all the way up to 'You'd'.
While I admit it'd be cheaper to buy 'the right size wire' than the insurance premium for fire damage I think I can get by with this one. If it doesn't work out I promise I wont site your comments in any litigation.

Everything went a bit blurry after that
Oh.

I was just saying that merely twisting three wires together is not a very good practice when you're dealing with large amounts of current.

You want a solid amount as possible for each wire.
So each wire should be properly terminated with one of these below.

Then you just stack the ring terminals on top of each other.

Attachments

• 3ft12AWGCablewRingTerminals_FuseProtection__37009.png
    3ft12AWGCablewRingTerminals_FuseProtection__37009.png
    167 KB · Views: 0
I was winding you up a bit. At 12v and 10A I dont thing I'll have any issues but on a physics level (I mean without testing it- to destruction) I wondered what effect it would have. I did electronics at O level 40 years ago. It hasn't weathered well.
:)

Not sure what your usage is, but the nec says the wire must be 1/0 or larger to parallel wires. So no small wiring in parallel, unless you don't care about minimum electrical standards.....

Oh, I'm a total noob. I bought 'My First Solar PV Kit' from Eco-worthy on saturday and it's still working.
On a serious note, it is more of a demonstrator than a practical setup although even though I havent seen the sun in 5 days it still seems to put some charge in my battery.
My initial question was more about what I'd need to do for direct battery connections than the cheap ass controller supplied with the kit.

You would need separate fuse for each wire to protect from overload and fires. If 2 out of 3 cables are accidentally cut or there is a bad connection thethird one is going to catch on fire. Similarly if the insulation in one of the cables is broken and it shorts the fuse rating is too big if the wires share one common fuse.

Back