diy solar

diy solar

UK consumer unit branding uniformity.

Fingers

A bloke from the UK asked about this on this forum a month or two ago, but I can't find his post.

Regarding consumer units.
Here in the uk you must have all the rcd's, mcb's, switches, contactors and anything else you need, the same manufacturer branding; including the case.
If this absolutely isn't in the regulations, then it is certainly is regarded as an abortion or codge to an electrician.

This can be a massive problem as not all manufactures make every thing that you are going to need (example: Live, MK), like Type B rcd's. You could buy a nice new Schneider consumer unit but just one of there rcd's cost over £1000. And your going to need more than just one!

If you look on Alibaba express you can find pretty much every thing you need, but finding one manufacturer that does the lot, including the branded case? Well maybe, but is it kosher with uk regulations?.....If you do intend buying from Alibaba read customers feedback regarding nuisance tripping.

I have found an answer, Chint is manufactured in the UK and they make the lot. They might not be your first choice but they are a lot cheaper than Schneider. Also ebay is loaded with used Chint items, I recently bought four empty consumer units with type A rcd's for £37.00 the lot!

Ok, here's a couple of links:
https://ecoharmony.co.uk/collection...neutral-dc-earth-leakage-30ma-type-b-10ka-rcd

I just noticed the email, after I bought two rcd's:
As a thank you for subscribing Save 10% off your first order using the below code for you or a friend*

Welcome10​

https://chint.co.uk/

I hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Here is the supposed advisory..

Basically it is the IET passing off responsibility for any problems to the installer. This is probably just to exempt both the manufacturer and the IET from any possible blame in the unlikely scenario that compliant switch gear from different manufacturers would not work together correctly. I find this laughable as it appears to just be an excuse to avoid creating a workable reliable standard. It seems even most sparks would not like this and would be forced to sign off on a mix and match system.

Personally my CU's manufacturer was acquired but seems doubtful that the new owner would certify new modules to work correctly in an old unit. More likely they would say they can be installed but fail to state that the liability falls to the person who did the installation.

If you follow the money it is obviously also designed to allow for you to be bullied into purchasing a new CU and complete set of modules for £££££

Last edited:
Back