diy solar

diy solar

Unplugging the Frezzer

• Thread starter Deleted member 1888
  • Start date
The OP said fridge and freezer turning off at night. My chest fridge goes from 33 to 40 in the morning (upper section). If you go out and buy a bunch of groceries/ drinks late in the day and then turn off the fridge a couple hours later, you'll be in trouble.

So, you are saying the fridge only consumes 100WH in a 24hr period if left on and 300WH if turned off at night. 100WH seems exceedingly low. I certainly don't believe it. Did you let the freezer stabilize a couple days between tests?

So, you are saying the fridge only consumes 100WH in a 24hr period if left on and 300WH if turned off at night. 100WH seems exceedingly low. I certainly don't believe it. Did you let the freezer stabilize a couple days between tests?

You may have misread the OP

I found that leaving them plugged in they pulled from 1.8-2kwh and unplugging it they pulled 3kwh. Has anyone else seen this or even tested it?

That works out to 75-83 Wh/hr (plugged in 24/7 and 125 Wh/hr (unplugged at night) if I understand correctly.

I did not have it full to the brim so maybe that is one factor I don't know.

Switching off overnight probably suits a fairly full fridge / freezer that does not get opened after dark often.
And on a way undersized battery storage setup with zero days autonomy.
But with plenty of solar.
Overall power consumption increases but battery storage requirement decreases.
I may do this at my bbq area with a small beer fridge.
And you use a timer to do it automatically.

Seeing and believing are often both wrong. FOW

I've been in measurement my whole career and testing methodology can skew results a lot. I'd like to see data from a five day test. You may not be dealing with the same average temperature in a short period. Heat loss should be about the same. Compressors take a lot of surge current each time they start and higher current for the first 4 minutes. Letting it run longer in the morning after a night off should save some power. Something is happening. It just might not be what you expect.

I only run in the day and have no way to run at night. It is all about having a smaller battery bank anyway.

Another variable is the defrost cycle which uses a heating element. Unplugging prevents the defrost cycle which should save power.

My Fridge nameplate is 11.6A however my kill-a-watt measures around one amp when running. I have yet to monitor power during the defrost cycle.
I think you'll find the defrost heaters use the lions share of that for the brief time they're on. When it does a defrost cycle, it wants to QUICKLY heat the cold surfaces to melt any frost that has formed on them, but not thaw food in the freezer, so it typically has a high powered heaters to melt the frost quickly, then shut off before any food thaws. A low powered heater that takes 3 hours to melt frost would thaw food as well, a high powered one that completes it's task in 10-15 minutes won't.

Back