diy solar

diy solar

Upside Down bus-bars?

FilterGuy

Solar Engineering Consultant - EG4 and Consumers
The busbars that China sends all seem to have the Bend/Hump in them. I have always installed them with the hump up. But I recently saw a pic of someone that put the hump down.
1586473588623.png

That got me wondering..... is one-way better than the other? (Yes.... I am on lock down and getting board).

I suddenly realized down is safer...... If you they are mounted 'up' and you drop something like a screwdriver on it, the Hump would tend to guide it right at the terminal.
However if the hump is down the screwdriver would be guided away from the terminal.

1586473827101.png

(I could not bring myself to put a metal screwdriver there for the picture..... maybe I don't have the conviction of my beliefs! :LOL:

Last edited:
BTW: Most of the time the shrink-wrap on the bus-bars they send is a skosh too big. When I use them for top balancing the shrink wrap would get underneath the overlapping bus-bars so I end up trimming it back with an Exacto knife.

And it's exactly little finds like this attention to detail that makes builds much better!
Thanks for sharing!

I always went up also now I just use flat ones but I do agree down appears to have an advantage
Do you make your own or do you have a source? I use my Chinese ones for expirimental builds but build my own for 'real' builds. I have been using 1/4x3/4 copper bar but that is overkill. I am looking for a good source of 1/8x3/4 copper bar.

I'm guessing that the 'bump' is there to prevent the terminals shorting out on any top-cover - is the peak of the bump higher than the terminals? But then why would you have anything metallic on top of a battery? Actually doesn't make sense. Rigidity? Might be to allow cables to pass underneath the busbars? Honestly, I'm making this up ... I have no idea.

I'm guessing that the 'bump' is there to prevent the terminals shorting out on any top-cover - is the peak of the bump higher than the terminals? But then why would you have anything metallic on top of a battery? Actually doesn't make sense. Rigidity? Might be to allow cables to pass underneath the busbars? Honestly, I'm making this up ... I have no idea.

I am not sure why the are there, but I have been able to slighly lengthen the space between the holes by flattening it a little.

OMG! You flattened the busbars!! :eek:

Just kidding ... sounds good. Sorry, feeling a little mischievous this evening, well, actually morning.

So now our batteries are gonna be innies or outies. Hah.

Isn't it nice to have space a wandering mind can wallow in now and again?

That's where the truly great discoveries are made.

I like it.

Back