diy solar

diy solar

Using a wall mounted Solar panel

philchef34

Hello Everybody

I am a user of solar security lights in my back garden and have always felt that could utililize the sun in a more efficent way, The back of my house is a south West facing, so in the summer i get sun from 5-6 am full until about 4pm, where it passes over the roof and stops giving it full power, so I have a very good light source, from late march until november. so have a good amount of direct sunlight for the rear of the house and should have a good options for the use of a DIY set up, using basic solar panels, wires, security lights of differing LED numbers and a few electrical junction boxes within the house

The North West facing wall, front of the building(front door entrance), 6 months of the year i get something resembing sunlight, enough for the plants to grow, but i found that the ability to charge was not at its best and it would fail at the earliest period, I get sun that could be used on the North West facing wall, but it is very low and not the best(I have tried), so I am trying to be a little more creative in my thinking

I have always wanted to use solar power better, but I wouldn't know where to start and who to talk too about what I would like to do, without costing a fortune

I was wondering if I could get a medium sized soar panel on my rear wall, and using different security lights, with different LED amounts, thread the wiring from the panel, through my house and connect this to security lights in different areas of the house or North West facing wall,
I was thinking about putting some solar lights in the loft.. (saving electricity when I am in the loft, using the security light, instead of the home electrics), as it would be connected to the panel on the South West facing wall, it would have a charge and not be using the house electrical power

Threading the wires through the loft, getting a junction box of sorts and just using security lights at different LED numbers, to use for the Loft, toilet at night, cupboards and down the North West facing wall, to connect to my front porch lights.

I have seen that you can get, lights that connect to a single panel, this panel has a wire that is 5 foot long, I was hoping to work out a way, to buy lots of these lights, wires and find a way to connect it to the panel

200W Solar Lights Outdoor Garden Dusk to Dawn Solar LED Floodlight IP65 Waterproof Outside Lights Remote Control Solar Powered Security Light for Parking Lot,Yard,Street with 16.5ft Extension Cable https://amzn.eu/d/5E6sVN0

Something like this but with more cables connecting the the solar panel and smaller security lights for differering reasons (loft light, porch light, night light for toilet, shed light)

I don't know how much sense that makes but I just want to use the sun's energy to its full potential and reduce the use of house hold energy

Many thanks

Phil

Last edited:
I’m rushing to a meeting so sorry for the brief response.

Vertical solar panel is ok. Wire to a controller, then to a battery. Then wires from the battery to whatever loads you want. Motion sensor. LED lights are good and low draw. Need to pay attention to the wire size and distance to the load. All this can be done with 12 volts (like an automobile) to make it cheap and easy. Fuses required at various points.

I have a similar setup in my garage for occasional and emergency lighting.

And welcome!

I’m rushing to a meeting so sorry for the brief response.

Vertical solar panel is ok. Wire to a controller, then to a battery. Then wires from the battery to whatever loads you want. Motion sensor. LED lights are good and low draw. Need to pay attention to the wire size and distance to the load. All this can be done with 12 volts (like an automobile) to make it cheap and easy. Fuses required at various points.

I have a similar setup in my garage for occasional and emergency lighting.

And welcome!
Thank you for the welcome and the advice
Thank you also for the information, I would like to state that i know how to cook but i am a far cry from someone that can set up a solar panel, connect it to this(ontroller) and that(battery), so a little green to the ins and outs of it all the things to do about this, but willing to learn and utilise the best of the british sun

Stick around for a month or so and read new posts. It would be good not to buy anything. You may find that UK sun isn’t going to make this worth while. esp when combined with the reduced production of a vertical panel.

A good exercise is to determine how many watts you will need each day.

Yes, nothing is going to happen now, as the British winter and early spring will not give much direct sun light, even for the security lights, it can be far to little when the winter really hits,

I have a building behind my house that shelters the sun (The Sun doesn't rise over their roof from November until March).

It's more based on next year and seeing if I can reduce my usage of household electricity using basic solar panels attached to my house, or even attaching the solar panel to the lower end of the roof tile, then finding ways.

I will have a look though and see what inspires me to do and play??

Back