diy solar

diy solar

Value of nonworking 6848xw+

OkieFarmer

I just sold three working 6848xw+, and I still have three nonworking (either control board or main power board). What are nonworking 6848xw+s worth? Cost to repair is roughly $600 per, with me shipping boards to Canada, but I'm wondering if it makes more sense to just sell them as is. Let me know estimates of value or places that might be looking to buy nonworking units. Thanks!

Apologies, I don't have a good answer for your question. Out of curiosity, why would boards have to go to Canada, is that an authorized Schneider repair facility or 3rd party. How did you find them?

Maybe a better question is how or why did those inverters fail. The XW+ has a good reliability history.

Apologies, I don't have a good answer for your question. Out of curiosity, why would boards have to go to Canada, is that an authorized Schneider repair facility or 3rd party. How did you find them?

Maybe a better question is how or why did those inverters fail. The XW+ has a good reliability history.
Schneider won’t repair… anything frankly. Great product, nonexistent support. 10 years ago I could talk to an engineer and now it appears they’ve outsourced all support to an overseas contractor and it’s a mess. They just want to sell you a new one, won’t repair or provide parts. They failed and frankly I don’t know why. Only guy I’ve found that will repair is in Canada. I’ve had calls where he walked me through testing and he seems to know his stuff and he believes it was likely a power surge of some kind. But I’d only repair to sell. If you know anyone in us that repairs I’d love to talk to them… those that advertise it that I’ve called don’t know much sadly

I just sold three working 6848xw+, and I still have three nonworking (either control board or main power board). What are nonworking 6848xw+s worth? Cost to repair is roughly $600 per, with me shipping boards to Canada, but I'm wondering if it makes more sense to just sell them as is. Let me know estimates of value or places that might be looking to buy nonworking units. Thanks!
10 years old and non working would be worth almost nothing I fear. I assume you've already looked on eBay to see what things are going for there?

But I’d only repair to sell. If you know anyone in us that repairs I’d love to talk to them… those that advertise it that I’ve called don’t know much sadly

Have you talked to Inverter Service Center in TN? I've sent several Trace Inverters to them for repair and was pleased. I have no idea if they will send replacement parts like the guys in Canada will.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Yeah with the lack of parts availability it's gotta be nearly nothing.

A working unit maybe $1000-1500 so it's possible you could repair and sell, but if you were honest and represented them as repaired units I think the value might drop to $500.

It's kind of sad the way the legacy of north american inverters was sold off along the way to larger corporate interests, but I understand how it happened.

I guess we should just be glad they're still being made and sold at all, and not killed off.

10 years old and non working would be worth almost nothing I fear. I assume you've already looked on eBay to see what things are going for there?

Have you talked to Inverter Service Center in TN? I've sent several Trace Inverters to them for repair and was pleased. I have no idea if they will send replacement parts like the guys in Canada will.

Good luck and keep us posted!
These were made in 2017, so not quite ten years old--I'd started talking to Schneider before buying them though, and at that time you could interact with some amazingly intelligent people in house.

This day with all the new AIO's from China , you will be lucky to get support in a year or two after purchase.

These were made in 2017, so not quite ten years old--I'd started talking to Schneider before buying them though, and at that time you could interact with some amazingly intelligent people in house.
It's a shame, it really is.

This day with all the new AIO's from China , you will be lucky to get support in a year or two after purchase.
On that subject: If a person is looking for a bargain they've got a large selection NIB 6000w or higher AIO inverters with warranties (laughable or not) to choose from for well under $2000. I'm not saying it's an apples to comparison. I think the market for used, especially non working, "top tier" gear is going to highly influenced by what else it out there.

Struggling with this right now. I've got several customers with totally working 20 yr or older Trace and Outback systems that are worth what amounts to almost nothing on the used market.

1702231915409.png

Wow, you had 6 XW's?
I wish you were closer, I might be interested, but the cost of shipping is likely more than I'd want to spend on broken inverters.

For someone into the electronics, and close by, I expect they could fix them. Solid units like that, you have to expect the gear would be worth the parts and work. - Who was the member that wanted to build his own inverter? Would that guy be a candidate for repairing them? @HLB was that you?

Would you be willing to part it out? I am interested in the power board and transformer choke. Actually I could take all PCBs and that big iron transformer too. Don't care bout the enclosure. Splitting it into multiple boxes would allow it to be shipped via UPS or Fedex ground.

Back