diy solar

diy solar

vevor 3kv : Smoked : anybody want TO BUY IT £50 ? OR REPAIR it for me ?

Must admit im surprised with machine being so generic and widespread im surprised no
one has more info on this board.

Anyways im striping it down rather than send to landfill

if you look at original picture above you may see there is a hard pvc clear cover
within the unit , when i took that off i got a clue where something might have
went wrong .... ( pvc covered in smoke residue )

im gonna dig deeper , save me

Attachments

• board1.jpg
    board1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 47
  • board2.jpg
    board2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 47
So under the floating top board i found a bank of fuses :) they are not like
a car , even though they look like car fuses they are soldered on.
Visual inspection they seem ok , guess i should continuity test them !?

Attachments

• b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 35
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 35
So under the floating top board i found a bank of fuses :) they are not like
a car , even though they look like car fuses they are soldered on.
Visual inspection they seem ok , guess i should continuity test them !?
You might be getting somewhere. I recall that an inverter I bought years back came with several of those types of fuses as spares. The only problem was the ones on the circuit board are soldered on (like yours) so I wondered why they included them.

Hopefully you can just solder on replacements if one or more is blown and get back in business.

You might be getting somewhere. I recall that an inverter I bought years back came with several of those types of fuses as spares. The only problem was the ones on the circuit board are soldered on (like yours) so I wondered why they included them.

Hopefully you can just solder on replacements if one or more is blown and get back in business.
Im 50/50 on that ...............

I need to test those fuses but i currently have lurking concerns .... the smoked out PVC
was next to large heatsink with a microprocessor or 3 on it , something caused that smoke !
looks like a minor explosion type smoke , im not holding out much hope changing fuse
will save this board ( its kinda hidden away moment , need to strip more out first ...... tick tock tick tock

EDIT : all fuses checked and fine.

Last edited:
I think im upto about 40 screws from taking the case cover off to remove this motherboard, phew

I have FOUND the issue (or one part of issue , who knows it might have damaged components further down the track ) , i shall upload images in a moment or two in the next thread for anyone else in the future with a similar board looking for problem, it was kinda hidden away under a heatsink

I managed to blow apart a G042N10 transistor and i "think" ( hard to see ) a little resistor that sits in front of it
the transistor costs pennies $15 for ten on a brief google search , but it will need to lie here for a month or two for me to
figure out the resistor and get parts and plug up the courage to get a soldering iron out.
The poor wee thing has been destroyed , those of a weak disposition should not open images in due course :)
At least i got to bottom of it .......................

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194961866658

Hmm. This is a PWM and not a MPPT. Your 6-270w panels may have been the problem and not your battery cables or loading. I do not know the listed specs for this model or your panel specs nor how you connected them.

I love the smell of burnt mosfets in the morning.
Especially on cheap Chinese junk that realistically can usually safely handle 50% of the specs. I let the smoke out of a 5A buck converter, pulling 3.2A with their recommended little heat sink installed. Always test everything before taking it on the road or in the air. It’s now got a beefier 9A buck converter on it. Working fine.

Reactions: D71
Your 6-270w panels may have been the problem and not your battery cables or loading.
Agreed, my quick search shows "up to 36V input PV voltage". This is pretty standard for a PWM SCC.

Unless these 6 panels are all in parallel, this problem was probably caused by voltage too high from the array.

Hmm. This is a PWM and not a MPPT. Your 6-270w panels may have been the problem and not your battery cables or loading. I do not know the listed specs for this model or your panel specs nor how you connected them.
looks like i need to learn the difference between pwm and mppt then ........... " gooooogllllleeeee"

Agreed, my quick search shows "up to 36V input PV voltage". This is pretty standard for a PWM SCC.

Unless these 6 panels are all in parallel, this problem was probably caused by voltage too high from the array.
Parallel
all was well for a while, never saw Voltage go above 36v from memory
the system went POP when i tried to draw too much power

system did not go POP , while i was sleeping , it didnt even go pop 5 minutes before
or 5 minutes after , it went POP when i cranked up the power usage , power draw

the system went POP when i tried to draw too much power
Ok if that was at night we can pretty much rule out the array configuration and over volt of the PWM as the cause of this.

it went POP when i cranked up the power usage
Mostly out of curiosity, how much load did you have and for how long when it popped?

There are a few folks that specialize in inverters on this forum. Maybe start a thread asking for inverter repair help?
Well, thats assuming you are looking to get into that...

Ok if that was at night we can pretty much rule out the array configuration and over volt of the PWM as the cause of this.

Mostly out of curiosity, how much load did you have and for how long when it popped?

There are a few folks that specialize in inverters on this forum. Maybe start a thread asking for inverter repair help?
Well, thats assuming you are looking to get into that...
I was drawing 500 watts from battery pack fine for days , then i decided to play , pushed it to 2800 watts power draw and the battery wires melted and that mosfet went POP
nothing dramatic just stopped working

i have the mosfet on order hopefully arrive soon and i will solder it in and see if its working , can only live in hope :cool:

I had one of those inverters go bang doing absolutely nothing of note, short on the battery bus.
They fought me so hard on warranty that I had to file a CC dispute before they shipped out a replacement.
You have to replace the MOSFET, resistors, driver transistor and gate drive chip etc, otherwise it will instantly blow up again.
There is a chap on youtube that has several video's of inverter repair.

the Ac should be 12 AWG, i thought to myself this is a bit thin , when i used for both
I used lot thicker for connecting the batteries , but no for the lead to charge the batteries from the
charge controller

No luck here with anyone with experience on these yet , looks like i shall have to strip it all
down tommorrow and try and troubleshoot with the little knowledge i have
I am not sure exactly what you are talking about by "The AC should be 12 AWG". If you are talking about the AC output wires, they can be much smaller than the DC input wires. Remember Volts * Amps = Watts. So with a 120 volts out and 20 volts in, your DC in current will be 6 times the AC out current (assuming a 100% conversion efficiency). So if you used the specs for the AC wires to wire the DC system, it no wonder it blew up. Even then 12 AWG is generally only rated for 20 amps. Your output would be more than that.

I had one of those inverters go bang doing absolutely nothing of note, short on the battery bus.
They fought me so hard on warranty that I had to file a CC dispute before they shipped out a replacement.
You have to replace the MOSFET, resistors, driver transistor and gate drive chip etc, otherwise it will instantly blow up again.
There is a chap on youtube that has several video's of inverter repair.
Wow that guy has a terrific resource of information and could likely fix this one in a heartbeat !

sadly i failed :-(

Ok i replaced the blown up mosfet and had zero effect : still gubbed

Not sure i have the ability or inclination to dig any deeper , anybody UK has ability to repair it
please let me know
or anybody with ability who wants it , in its broken condition please feel free make me an offer
to save it sitting in box in garage for next ten years.

Subject Edited to get the attention of the repair techs ,
or anybody with the ability who wants it, in its broken condition please feel free to make me an offer
to save it sitting in a box in the garage for the next ten years.

vevor 3kv : Smoked : anybody want it ? repair it ?​

£50 plus postage if anybody wants to buy it in its current broken condition

Last edited:
Back