diy solar

diy solar

Victron is Over-priced Eurotrash. Why would anybody buy Victron over an AiO?

I expect the SGP is a Sigineer, and its surge is ungodly, but so it its idle consumption. Pretty sure you can hear it snickering at you as it drains your batteries while powering no loads... :p
But....But....It's blue! You sure its not a cousin or something like that? I mean honestly it could be the ugly retarded cousin....

I got two class T in m10 and 1 x M10 distribution. Figured I would have to tweak the M8 shunt to fit with those. Shouldn’t be a problem.

I received our new Cerbo GX MK2 which will be replacing the regular Cerbo GX as Victron goes through its stock. Two notable changes are:
  1. The back RJ45 jacks now face upward to make it easier to plug and unplug especially when wired in tight spots. I deal with this issue with my current Cerbo GX in our Sprinter van and what a PITA to hassle with it in such a tight spot.
  2. They removed the BMS-CAN and replaced it with VE. CAN 2 which can be programmed for a different language or protocol such as RVC. (good for us rv’ers) Both VE. Can ports can now be programmed for different protocols which is neat. Now you can have two different protocols unlike with the old one that you could only choose one.
I’ve attached a good video on the different Cerbos below with the differences and changes. I was going to order the Ekrano all in one unit but decided to hide the Cerbo GX in the wireway instead of running a bunch of wires to the Ekrano in back of a wall. It also would’ve took longer cables to achieve it so this works better. Still waiting on the GX 70 monitor.

IMG_3005.jpeg

I sold my jeep (cost me about $600/mo in just gas) and bought a tesla. I then bought 30kwh of eg4ll batteries, 2 eg4 6500ex inverters and 12x450 watt solar panels with the intention of using the money I saved on gas to pay for the system. Shortly after powering up the eg4 6500ex, I immediately hated everything about them; loud, runs REALLY hot, inefficient, 120/240v split phase kept losing sync with each other, and the software/solar assistant was just trash imo compared to VRM. I got rid of the 6500 ex and replaced them with 2x 5000va multi plus II and 1x smart solar 250/100. It cost me a little less than 2x as much as the 2 eg4ll. In total i spent about $11k for the initial set up but ended up at about $14k after the swap. (I have victron energy systems on my rv and loved the). The full system has been up for about 3 months now and I have been having to work on weekend, meaning driving more. I have saved around $2500 in gas so far by solar charging my car instead of gas for my jeep. So since my victron system was built to replace gas, and not the grid, the system will effectively be paid off by next year and every mile I drive after that will be "free." Sure, I could have charged from the grid and still saved a good majority of that, but then I wouldn't have my hobby/back up power when I lose power.
Yeah but..........Thats bad math. Kinda like saying Diet coke causes obesity cause you only see fat people drinking it.
Your jeep was the problem not the gas bill. I drive a Honda civic and use 80/month. I got the car 10 years ago and paid 19k (how much tesla?). I now have 300k on car and going strong with ZERO repairs. Say that when and IF the one trick pony makes it to 300k which it wont! How much was the tesla again? Add tesla 90k + 14k in solar + tesla repairs + tesla new battery in 151k. Plus another new tesla when that one breaks and it will. You have a huge bill that will never be paid off. Remember I am paying 80/month. It was 40 under trump. If I wanted to get stupid and save money I would buy a hybrid like a Prius. They used Priuses as Taxis in New York and some made it to 650k miles. They get 65mpg or better. If you bought a used one and got 65mpg it would take 1,000 years to payoff that tesla and solar.

Rant over.........

200k to 300k typical (doesn't say what repairs)

500k not unheard of.

Mine is at 300k, has had a couple repairs. Opened transmission to replace a bearing. Think it has a head crack now so running unpressurized (maybe should have replaced radiator cap every time I replaced coolant.) Plus of course alternator, I think starter, A/C, timing belt & water pump 3 times now.

Back