diy solar

diy solar

Victron multi, heat gun , honda 2200 and 139 volts??

JRH

Solar Wizard
When hooking up Multi+ last year I sometimes used a sorta new and nice heat gun to test outlets and things..I have used it for years to test gen sets and other sources when I wanted to put a good draw on things .

On MEDIUM setting the multi+ dint like the heat gun …and made a loud weird buzzing ( not good ) sound..
On HIGH the multi+ was happy and the heat gun did its thing normally.

I stopped using the heat gun on the Victron…..and haven’t used the gun till today…

A year later ( today) ..

Got out the Honda (very low hours and 2 years old) to fill up for the season..cranked it up for a couple of min and the plugged the heat gun in to it .

The Honda has a voltage output meter on it and it was like normal , about 125 without load..

When I turned on the heat gun to Medium the voltage reading didn’t DROP a little bit like normal , it went UP..
Up to 139 ish ..
I quickly shifted over to HIGH heat and it went down to 123..like normal…

Did it twice to verify #s then unplugged THE GUN from the Honda… the only other info is theres a small amount of a burning plastic smell around the heat gun.

I have now thrown a really nice heat gun in the trash…

The Honda is sitting outside running perfect with a small space heater of about the power of the heat gun on medium…

How is it possible to raise the voltage like that ….?

Why not do it on high…as well on medium…?

Both the Victron and the Honda were affected in strange ways…but work perfect if ya don’t use” that “ heat gun…

Thats why its now in the trash can…

what the hell happened here…Any ideas….?..

J.

When hooking up Multi+ last year I sometimes used a sorta new and nice heat gun to test outlets and things..I have used it for years to test gen sets and other sources when I wanted to put a good draw on things .

On MEDIUM setting the multi+ dint like the heat gun …and made a loud weird buzzing ( not good ) sound..
On HIGH the multi+ was happy and the heat gun did its thing normally.

I notice this on my Quattro's too. It's like there's some harmonic excitation between the coils and case. I ignore it because it's in the container, and I can't hear it. :)

I stopped using the heat gun on the Victron…..and haven’t used the gun till today…

A year later ( today) ..

Got out the Honda (very low hours and 2 years old) to fill up for the season..cranked it up for a couple of min and the plugged the heat gun in to it .

The Honda has a voltage output meter on it and it was like normal , about 125 without load..

When I turned on the heat gun to Medium the voltage reading didn’t DROP a little bit like normal , it went UP..
Up to 139 ish ..
I quickly shifted over to HIGH heat and it went down to 123..like normal…

Did it twice to verify #s then unplugged THE GUN from the Honda… the only other info is theres a small amount of a burning plastic smell around the heat gun.

I have now thrown a really nice heat gun in the trash…

The Honda is sitting outside running perfect with a small space heater of about the power of the heat gun on medium…

How is it possible to raise the voltage like that ….?

Why not do it on high…as well on medium…?

Both the Victron and the Honda were affected in strange ways…but work perfect if ya don’t use” that “ heat gun…

Thats why its now in the trash can…

what the hell happened here…Any ideas….?..

J.

That is really weird. I got nuttin.

Reactions: JRH
I notice this on my Quattro's too. It's like there's some harmonic excitation between the coils and case. I ignore it because it's in the container, and I can't hear it. :)

That is really weird. I got nuttin.

I have been thinking about this out riding the mower…never heard of the voltage rising like that on anything..

My best guess is that I don’t know…!

Thx, J.

I had the voltage regulator go out on an RV Onan generator. Bastard would output 160VAC unloaded. Fried the converter, and I'm shocked nothing else got damaged.
I am leaning towards an unfactual theory that as gensets ,to my knowledge, will adjust to various loads to keep the voltage and frequency and power where it’s needed by the load.. They ramp up and down and do things to “ keep things happy” …
That’s a less than stellar factual basis to go off of for sure , butvwhat I have observed in life.
SO,
if that heat gun had some type short or somthing goofy happening internally only when in the medium postion , perhaps that caused the multi to not be happy and make a racket…. and the Honda to actually try to adjust by raising the voltage to meet some unknown need it detected.

I am certainly not an electrician , or an electrical wizard in any way… but I do have the knowledge and power to cut the cord off and take the only thing causing a problem and throw it in the trash..

The Honda works perfect..the Victron works perfect…it had to be heat gun related somehow.

J.

Back