diy solar

diy solar

Victron multipluss ii ac input cord

Nan_wpg

Solar Enthusiast
I’m not hard wiring my multi into an electrical panel.

id like to wire an extention cord into the ac input so we can use the generator for charging and ac pass through.

im a bit confused as some of the 12/2 cords are 15a and some are 20a. Is it the ”end” that makes it 15, or 20a?
a 12/2 should be good for 20a.

looking for a recommendation for a quality cord to use. Any recommendations?

*primarily will be limiting the ac input to 15a but would like to future proof for 20a input.

Wire gauge and insulation ratings along with any connectors used. 12awg cord with a 15A plug end is implicitly limited to 15A. Generally speaking, typical residential wiring:

10awg is 30A
12 awg is 20A
14 awg is 15A

Most 120V circuit are limited to 15A with some specialized sockets rated for 20A.

Maybe build your own?

so why are some 12awg extention cards rated for 15a, and some 20a?

id like to build my own, but looking at wiresandcablesyourway.com under “flexible power cord” but I don’t know the difference between STO, SOOW, SJOOW, and all the other types??

any advice?

so why are some 12awg extention cards rated for 15a, and some 20a?

20A 120V:

44-233-003_1.jpg

15A plug:

44-107-001_1_1.jpg

20A receptacle:

22.3.8_WH.png

If a cord has a 15A plug, it's limited to 15A even if the wire is rated for more. Sounds like sneaky ratings to me.

id like to build my own, but looking at wiresandcablesyourway.com under “flexible power cord” but I don’t know the difference between STO, SOOW, SJOOW, and all the other types??

any advice?

What's the 120V output option on your generator?

I have two outputs:

3 prong L530 30A output
nema 20p 20A output.

I have a chargeverter that will use the 30A output but I also want to use the 20A output.

looks like I’ll be making my own cord. I’ve already ordered the 20A plug, I just need a good cable.

I suppose if the connector is the limiting factor I could just buy a nice 12awg extention cord, cut both ends of and replace one end with the higher rated plug.

Back