diy solar

diy solar

Victron Basic Setup w/ AC Input Plug-in Cord

seeyalater

I recently ripped out my EcoFlow Smart Home Panel and Delta Pro batteries because it was not reliable. I since purchased (1) Victron 48v/5000w inverter, (1) Ruixu RX-LFP48100 battery and (1) Reliance 10-Circuit Switch Panel.

I'm looking to setup a basic system that I can switch over to when power goes out (which isn't too often here in South Florida). How does this look? My thinking with the AC input via a plug-in cord is that if power goes out for a long period and the batterie(s) start running low, I can plug the AC in to my 2000w portable generator and place it outside just 20' away.

My next-door neighbor also has a full-house generator like 50' away from my house, so if we ever had a hurricane and lost power for days I can barter some food and beer in exchange for running a 50' extension cord to charge up the batteries.

Based on Will Prowse's Victron video, I should be able to change the AC input settings to 15a or 20a to match my outlet and cord.

I went with the Reliance 10-Circuit panel because It's more compact than using two separate panels (transfer switch and load center).

I might also add a Cerbo GX once it's all setup so I can control and monitor everything with my phone.

How does this layout look?

Attachments

• Victron+1-unit.jpg
    Victron+1-unit.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 33
  • SNAG-0058.png
    SNAG-0058.png
    573.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
A/C typically refers to Air Conditioning. Going to assume you mean Alternating Current.

48V 100Ah battery is pretty minimal. That's only 5.12kWh, so you might be able to run three full size fridges for 24 hours.

The approach works. You can use VictronConnect + MK3-USB cable to program the inverter and indicate max AC input current and pass this current through to loads. Note that if you exceed this current, PowerAssist will boost the incoming AC with inverted battery power. If you disable PowerAssist, there is nothing that prevents you from drawing more than the AC input current limit, and you may overload the source.

In other words, for this to work as a UPS, your incoming AC supply to the MP-II must support all loads, or at least do so intermittently and not significantly eat into battery capacity.

I might also add a Cerbo GX once it's all setup so I can control and monitor everything with my phone.

Monitor, yes. Control with your phone, not fully. The VRM app on your phone will allow you to change some basic things like turn it on and off, switch to charger mode and change the AC input current limit, but you can't make programming changes to the inverter through Victron Connect. In fact, you can't connect to the inverter through VictronConnect on your phone UNLESS you install a VE.bus smart dongle, and again, that only allows monitoring and the basic changes (on, off, charger only, ac input current limit changes) and is limited to Bluetooth range. It is independent of the Cerbo.

Thanks Sunshine. I fixed the A/C typo.

I will add a couple more Ruixu batteries once I have everything sorted out. I just wanted to get the system sorted out before spending more money on batteries.

So would I be better off with the Cerbo GX Display so have access to all the settings

So would I be better off with the Cerbo GX Display so have access to all the settings

I'm just trying to make sure that your expectations match reality. The Cerbo enables VRM and acts as a "brain" to keep connected devices in communication with each other and enable features not available with single devices.

The Cerbo will not enable you to make changes to inverter programming to the same degree as VictronConnect or VEConfigure3 (Windows PC based) with a MK3-USB adapter.

Don't get me wrong, the Cerbo is awesome. The issue is that Victron hardware has evolved over decades, and there is no single tool that gives full seamless control options.

Let me give you an example. I have a system with the older Color Control GX (CCGX) - a less robust version of the Cerbo.

I can MONITOR my system from anywhere in the world on my phone or on the web. I can make limited configuration changes through both interfaces (on/off, charger only, AC input current settings). You can see it here:

I can use VRM to update firmware of all GX-connected devices from any web browser and the VRM app.
I can download inverter configuration files from VRM, edit in VEConfigure3 on Windows PC, and upload in VRM to program inverters.
I can use VictronConnect to connect to VE.Direct or VE.Can GX-connected devices (typically MPPT and shunts) to monitor and make changes using the GX devices as a gateway.

I have a Victron system. I really like my 6-circuit transfer switch. I can choose quickly what I want to run from my batteries/solar or from the grid. Sometimes I switch everything to the grid except my Freeze Dryer. After running the freeze dryer on batteries/solar for 24 hours or so I can quickly switch back to my critical circuits to run my refrigerator, coffee pot, microwave, and induction cooktop, etc. from solar/batteries.

My Cerbo GX is worth everything to me. I keep my Victron VRM portal up on my desktop computer most of the time to monitor my system. I started with 100ah battery. I now have 300ah after adding a couple more batteries. My system is small, but I get a lot of use from it.

Last week we had a10-hour grid outage. After a couple hours of outage, I turned off my 22kw Generac to save propane and ran my critical circuits on solar/batteries. I love my little Victron system.

Attachments

• 2024-01-02 Solar System720x1280.jpg
    2024-01-02 Solar System720x1280.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 2024-03-22 Transfer Switch 720x1280.jpg
    2024-03-22 Transfer Switch 720x1280.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 25
It is not a great idea to put a male plug on a hybrid inverter AC input without a breaker in the path that you shut off before unplugging the AC male plug.

When inverter AC input goes open circuit, it can take a few seconds before inverter recognizes the AC input has gone open circuit, during which time the pass-through relay remains closed putting inverter AC output on AC input.

Make sure you hear the pass-through relay release before pulling out the male plug. A generator input should also have an inline breaker opened before unplugging from generator.

I never understand why people buy the mk3-usb. The cerbogx is just a few bucks more and does so much more. You can program by downloading/uploading the config files and everything else. The mk3 is only needed for connecting multiple inverters together, idk of any other reason to use it.

I don't think you can log with mk3 like you can with Cerbogx. Also I dont think you can get any notifications or alerts. Also I don't think Victron connect has the cool Easter effects :)

The gx touch is a nice addition but not needed. You can login to the ip of the cerbogx from anything internally and get the same settings.

I have a Victron system. I really like my 6-circuit transfer switch. I can choose quickly what I want to run from my batteries/solar or from the grid. Sometimes I switch everything to the grid except my Freeze Dryer. After running the freeze dryer on batteries/solar for 24 hours or so I can quickly switch back to my critical circuits to run my refrigerator, coffee pot, microwave, and induction cooktop, etc. from solar/batteries.

My Cerbo GX is worth everything to me. I keep my Victron VRM portal up on my desktop computer most of the time to monitor my system. I started with 100ah battery. I now have 300ah after adding a couple more batteries. My system is small, but I get a lot of use from it.

Last week we had a10-hour grid outage. After a couple hours of outage, I turned off my 22kw Generac to save propane and ran my critical circuits on solar/batteries. I love my little Victron system.
Whats that connector on the upper left expansion terminal of Lynx? Just a copper bus bar?

Attachments

• Lynx Power In Battery Connector2 720x1280.jpg
    Lynx Power In Battery Connector2 720x1280.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I recently ripped out my EcoFlow Smart Home Panel and Delta Pro batteries because it was not reliable. I since purchased (1) Victron 48v/5000w inverter, (1) Ruixu RX-LFP48100 battery and (1) Reliance 10-Circuit Switch Panel.

I'm looking to setup a basic system that I can switch over to when power goes out (which isn't too often here in South Florida). How does this look? My thinking with the AC input via a plug-in cord is that if power goes out for a long period and the batterie(s) start running low, I can plug the AC in to my 2000w portable generator and place it outside just 20' away.

My next-door neighbor also has a full-house generator like 50' away from my house, so if we ever had a hurricane and lost power for days I can barter some food and beer in exchange for running a 50' extension cord to charge up the batteries.

Based on Will Prowse's Victron video, I should be able to change the AC input settings to 15a or 20a to match my outlet and cord.

I went with the Reliance 10-Circuit panel because It's more compact than using two separate panels (transfer switch and load center).

How does this layout look?
What problems were you having with the smart home panel? and Delta batteries.

I never understand why people buy the mk3-usb. The cerbogx is just a few bucks more and does so much more. You can program by downloading/uploading the config files and everything else. The mk3 is only needed for connecting multiple inverters together, idk of any other reason to use it.

Many want to use VC, and that's the direction they're trying to go to eliminate VEConfigure at some future time.

I don't think you can log with mk3 like you can with Cerbogx.

Not at all.

Also I dont think you can get any notifications or alerts.

Not a one.

Also I don't think Victron connect has the cool Easter effects :)

Nope!

The gx touch is a nice addition but not needed. You can login to the ip of the cerbogx from anything internally and get the same settings.

Yep!

What problems were you having with the smart home panel? and Delta batteries.
I had the SHP as well as a Delta Pro & Extra battery hooked up for 3-4 months and it was pretty glitchy, locked up, etc. Then about 2 weeks ago I pressed the button to wake up the screen to see the status and smoke came out of the top vents. I unplugged it and lifted the 100lb unit outside the house in like 5 seconds in case it caught on fire. Luckily it did not.

It's on it's way back to EcoFlow right now after dozens of emails to get it warrantied and once I get it back, I might either sell it or keep it to use for camping or something. I already ripped out the SHP and listed it for sale. The Victron just feels like a workhorse compared to the EcoFlow.

The Victron just feels like a workhorse compared to the EcoFlow.
💯 Correct. Victron tried and true tested, rock solid and will last decades.

I feel like Ecoflow and all the others like it over promise and underdeliver. Also they seem to want to release new models every year and confuse the markets to eliminate resale values like cell phones.

How do you like the Reliance transfer switch? I think we need to do something similar here.

How do you like the Reliance transfer switch? I think we need to do something similar here.
I am so glad I installed the transfer switch. Since my system is small and cannot run everything, I like the ability to pick and choose what I run from solar at any given time with just the flip of a transfer switch. I love this feature of my system.

Back