diy solar

diy solar

Victron redundancy

G00SE

There’s two O’s in G00SE
If one wanted a split phase Victron set up could they run a 10kva 120 Quattro with the Victron 100a autotransformer temporarily and later stack a second 10kva Quattro? And then maintain the autotransformer in the event one inverter goes down?
Separately, if the second inverter and/or autotransformer failed, would 120 power from the solo inverter be a seamless transition or would the system first shut down?

It made sense in my head, wondering if it has merit.

If one wanted a split phase Victron set up could they run a 10kva 120 Quattro with the Victron 100a autotransformer temporarily and later stack a second 10kva Quattro? And then maintain the autotransformer in the event one inverter goes down?

The AT has a max 32A for 30 min or 28A max continuous on the Neutral, so your imbalance between L1 and L2 could never be more than, 28A * 120V = 3360W continuously or 3840W for 30 minutes.

Separately, if the second inverter and/or autotransformer failed, would 120 power from the solo inverter be a seamless transition or would the system first shut down?

If any portion of an integrated Victron system fails, it shuts down. It is not viable to have the AT as an in-place failover. The system would shut down, and you would:

Reconfigure the working inverter as standalone, disconnect data cables, etc.
Re-wire working inverter to AT and AT to panel, possibly with a well though out lockout switch, ATS or something.
Fire up and resume operation on a single inverter.

It made sense in my head, wondering if it has merit.

My head makes so much more sense to me than reality... big sad.

I have 2X 5kVA Quattros in split phase. If one fails, my plan is to fall back to 120V and power both legs with reduced utilization and lament the loss of my 240V items. Once I have a clear vision of my 240V loads, I may get an AT and use it for backup.

Another option is to parallel the Quattros in 120VAC single phase with both out to AT. If one failed, you'd simply need to reconfigure for single unit operation and then go. No wiring changes besides isolating the failed inverter and disconnecting VE.Bus cable. Still stuck with the leg imbalance limitation.

Last edited:
Back