diy solar

diy solar

Victron Smart Shunt vs Unknown brand - Looks identical

Put 500 amps through it for 5 minutes, and see how hot it gets.

Unfortunately i don't have anything that would draw that much amperage. And my inverter can't do it either.
I wonder if the clone would work with the Victron app.

It will probably perform the same.
10 years after a patent is granted. Anyone can copy a product. (In the US)

If you understand it might not talk to any other Victron product, like a Cerbo GX. And that it might fail or report incorrectly then go for it. I have many times bought the half price replacement for a name brand product. Sometimes it works great some times not.

The real question is: Do you care if it stops working or reports incorrectly? If the answer is it must work, then get the Victron. If the answer is, you are fine if it fails and you go without a shunt for a week or two. Then get the cheap clone.

It does not work with the Victron software. You'd also have to ask yourself if you want to support a company copying/stealing another's work.

Here was review of it:

I don’t currently use Victron but I have worked with it and had no complaints. That being said, the high probability that this clone may not integrate with other Victron systems would make me hesitant to be the beta driver.

That isn't correct. It is 20 years. Everybody waiting for the SawStop patents to expire and parent one expired in 2021 (company founded in 2000).
We die like men, with all 8 fingers, and 7 toes!!!

Saw stop is an amazing product, just not for me.

I don't even know what saw stop is. lol

Edit: wait........ maybe I just didn't know what it was called.

We die like men, with all 8 fingers, and 7 toes!!!

Saw stop is an amazing product, just not for me.
I have a DeWalt portable table saw that I use for building battery boxes and other stuff. That thing scares the heck out of me. And the respect I must give it often makes me rethink my position. I love the saw stop idea.

IMO it’s that respect that prob keeps you out of trouble.

I have a larger skilsaw contractor type saw it’s big enough for most things but I wouldn’t attempt ripping down 4x8 sheet goods, sidewinder circ saw for that.

I think the smaller portable ones would make me nervous.

I'll buy "off brand" stuff for non-critical uses (e.g., a garden sprayer or limited use tool), but I wouldn't buy an off-brand shunt. Batteries and solar equipment are too expensive to risk having bad info for programming and managing them.

@Madcodger I agree with you on getting the best and most reliable devices for critical uses. To me, a shunt is not a critical item. My batteries and inverter will work just fine with a cheap shunt or no shunt at all. I see it as more of a luxury to see where my battery capacity is at the moment.

I did end up buying the TBD shunt from Amazon. It works fine. Even at $70 I think it's overpriced. And Victron's price of $130 is way overpriced. At the end of the day, it's just a current counter. Add amps or subtract amps and an app to do the math. Nothing fancy and shouldn't cost that much.

@Madcodger I agree with you on getting the best and most reliable devices for critical uses. To me, a shunt is not a critical item. My batteries and inverter will work just fine with a cheap shunt or no shunt at all. I see it as more of a luxury to see where my battery capacity is at the moment.

I did end up buying the TBD shunt from Amazon. It works fine. Even at $70 I think it's overpriced. And Victron's price of $130 is way overpriced. At the end of the day, it's just a current counter. Add amps or subtract amps and an app to do the math. Nothing fancy and shouldn't cost that much.

And as far as I can tell, the Bluetooth BMS on my battery has a less-accurate amp counter. It counts amps and and out, but not as accurately as a dedicated shunt will do. It's "good enough" for my needs. The cost was minimal over the non-bluetooth batteries, unless you start considering the bottom of the barrel like the Weize and LoTthanymus (or other funny-named batteries - I made that one up).

Back