diy solar

diy solar

Want to Install 6+ Epoch 460ah batteries in Super C RV, help please

Wingrider

Epoch says not to install more than 4 of their 460ah batteries in serial or parallel together. I have been told I can pair them up as pairs into a Victron Cerbo and that is the work around and then 6, 8, 10 are no problem instead of just 4 together.

What is the opinion of the hive mind here? I want to buy them as a set so they are matched and need to know if this can work- assuming proper wire and installation protocols. The set up would be a dual 3k Victron Multiplus / II system with all the proper Victron kit.

Oh, and what is the opinion of 2 pair of them (4) co existing on their sides in an external Bay shared with the truck batteries and well vented to the rear?

Thanks in advance.

-Wingrider

Attachments

• 2228BatteryBay.jpg
    2228BatteryBay.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 11
Victron Cerbo is a communication device. Im thinking you're talking a Lynx power-in.

My understanding is you can install as many batteries as you want safely as long as you're not pulling too much power from the lugs. If I were you I'd just get 2 lynx power ins and wire each battery to it's own lug all using the same length of wire.

They don't want you to do it likely because it's a Ton of power and needs to be professionally installed.

Are you planning to install at 12V or 24 or 48? (I would recommend at least 24V with that many)

According to EPOCH you can have up to 4 in series AND 4 parallel, in any case this is what they support.

I have 10 Lion Energy 12V batteries installed in pairs @24V so technically beyond their spec. These have been ibstalled for more than 3 years with no issues. I do take them apart once a year and top balance each battery individually on our Victron test bed at the shop but no battery is more than .3V apart from end to end. So I think as long as you have them wired properly and check each one (easier to do with the EPOCH as they have BT to the cell level) and top balance as needed you should not have an issue. Additionally on the EPOCH they have communication protocal between the batteries in addition to the Victron come so these batteries (BMS’) will communicate between each other.

I am planning an upgrade from (10) 105A (Lion) batteries to (10) 300A (Epoch) battieies in the not too distant future and I may or may not include the Victron coms as I already have a complete Victron system including Shunt and Cerbo system networked via both BT and WiFi.

Stay tuned!!

Are you planning to install at 12V or 24 or 48? (I would recommend at least 24V with that many)

According to EPOCH you can have up to 4 in series AND 4 parallel, in any case this is what they support.

I have 10 Lion Energy 12V batteries installed in pairs @24V so technically beyond their spec. These have been ibstalled for more than 3 years with no issues. I do take them apart once a year and top balance each battery individually on our Victron test bed at the shop but no battery is more than .3V apart from end to end. So I think as long as you have them wired properly and check each one (easier to do with the EPOCH as they have BT to the cell level) and top balance as needed you should not have an issue. Additionally on the EPOCH they have communication protocal between the batteries in addition to the Victron come so these batteries (BMS’) will communicate between each other.

I am planning an upgrade from (10) 105A (Lion) batteries to (10) 300A (Epoch) battieies in the not too distant future and I may or may not include the Victron coms as I already have a complete Victron system including Shunt and Cerbo system networked via both BT and WiFi.

Stay tuned!!
I think specs like this is a CYA because many people would just buy a bunch, string them together then try to pump all the power combined.

The Victron comms is a great addition if possible. It basically eliminates the point of the shunt and even better it let's the batteries tell the Victron gear how to charge AND it's limits. Recently I had bad BMS ports so the batteries lost comms with each other sometimes and realized it was the reason my inverters were only pulling half the charge from shore. So for whatever reason if I shut off a battery it's smart enough to turn down my charge rate for all devices combined to under the 1 recommended setting. Genius.

Back